Sublime Forum

Prevent updating to beta release packages

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but I couldn’t find anything close either on the Forum or in Package Control docs.

Is there a way to prevent Package Control from upgrading a package to a beta release? I don’t want betas. However, I do want to update to finished packages.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Have the package developer:

• Use tagged releases (instead of branch-based releases)
  • Only release pre-release version using the correct semver notation. This involves a - after the three numbers, following by a descriptor such as alpha, beta, build, etc.

Example versions:

• Release: 1.0.0
  • Pre-release: 1.0.0-beta
  • Pre-release: 1.0.0-build25

By default, Package Control will only install pre-releases if you set the install_prereleases setting (https://packagecontrol.io/docs/settings#setting-install_prereleases) with the name of the package you want pre-releases for.

My hunch is that developers not properly tagging pre-releases is most likely the issue.

5 Likes

Thanks for replying.
The upgrade is labelled in the description as beta. That is why I don’t want it.
It is a sub-version of version 3. I assume that the only solution is to remove the package.
I have no control over the package developers.

1 Like

Well, you could open an issue with the developer and tell them about semver pre-releases.

Otherwise you’ll need to fork the package and decide which releases to tag yourself.

1 Like

The last should be 1.0.0-build.25, otherwise 1.0.0-build3 would compare greater while 1.0.0-build.3 does not.

5 Likes

I have no idea how to do the latter, as I am not very familiar with Github. Opening an issue probably wouldn’t work also.
The simplest solution is to delete the package, which I have already done. I originally thought that there was a setting in Package Control that I could set, but I see that this is not the case.
Thank you for your input.

1 Like

As I mentioned, there is a setting, just the packages are broken.

1 Like