Sublime Forum

Preferences greyed out in OS X

That works, but it’s impractical. This happens on a daily basis.

Edit: referencing an earlier post which implicated SecondBar as a possible cause: I closed SecondBar, closed ST2 and re-opened, and sure enough, Preferences is no longer grayed-out. I was able to re-open SecondBar, and Preferences is still usable.

I suppose at some point it will go away again, but perhaps now I have a work-around.

0 Likes

OS X 10.8.3 - My Preferences item is also ghosted in a hit or miss way. Sometimes restarting ST2 fixes it. This morning it didn’t. Terminating SecondBar corrected the issue.

Then, I restarted SecondBar, quit ST2, restarted ST2 and the problem recurred. Hope this helps your troubleshooting.

All my best,

Jay

0 Likes

I’m a new Sublime user. I saw the potential on my Windows machine. Went to set up my MacBook. Any time I add a package, including the Package Controller—using the command method—the Preferences menu becomes disabled. I deleted (i.e., reverted) the user install and tried again. I tried to manually add SFTP without having installed Package Controller; as soon as I did, the Prefs were disabled (so I couldn’t configure SFTP). Not sure what is making Sublime decide not to enable the Prefs menus. I guess I’ll have to give up using Sublime on OSX, for now.

OSX 10.8.2, Sublime, 2.0.2 2221.

0 Likes

Yeah this issue is still occurring in 2018 with Sublime Text 3 build 3143 on MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (17D47).

2 Likes

The same thing happened to me on MacOS High Sierra, and after going through my installed packages, removing “Hex Viewer” seemed to do the trick. It also had a small error in the console (view->console), so it was one of the first i tried to remove.

0 Likes

Can you provide the full contents of your Sublime Text console?

0 Likes

Considering that I run macOS all the time, and am the author of HexViewer, I am doubtful that HexViewer is the cause. In general, macOS occasionally runs into this case. Race condition maybe?

Sublime has a couple of race conditions that are still outstanding. One big one is events sometime accessing view.settings().get('some_setting', 'default') and it returning a None for no reason. It wouldn’t surprise me that HexViewer was throwing something like this. I’m constantly playing whack-a-mole with cases like this and putting additional logic to handle None cases because I can’t rely on Sublime to always give me a proper default. Though I think this is also related to Sublime initializing events before everything is properly setup behind the scenes with settings on Sublime startup. I make it sound like it happens a lot though, but these cases are still rare, but they keep popping up still.

0 Likes

I full restart of the computer fixed the problem.

0 Likes

Interesting. I haven’t heard or or seen mention of this before. Is it only in specific situations (like in plugin_loaded())?

0 Likes

I think it only has a chance of occurring at startup, but I’m not 100% sure. I believe it only applies to accessing a value not currently in view.settings. It seems like there is a weird case where any setting you attempt to access that does not exist will return None despite what you give as a default. But it is very sporadic as other times we don’t get None.

Some of my plugins will write info to the view.settings to access view specific info later, so I’d expect if they haven’t been set yet, that you’d get the manually provided default instead of None.

I’m not usually accessing view specific settings directly in plugin_loaded. I’m either accessing them in normal sublime commands, Sublime events, things like that. I may access them from a function that is called from a thread, but the thread kicks off this action by calling sublime.set_timeout or sublime.set_timeout_async and usually only once a normal sublime event has communicated that it has processed an event that we need to take action on.

0 Likes

I had this problem today. Restarting Sublime Text did not help, but the mentions of SecondBar above led me to try quitting and restarting Bartender, which did the trick!

0 Likes

A great answer to this question would be, How does a plugin cause the Preferences menu to be disabled? Does a plugin have the ability to override the menubar in that manner?

I don’t want to disable all my plugins one at a time looking for the answer to this question. Currently the only answer is a reboot. A REBOOT!? And that’s only good until the next time.

0 Likes

There isn’t any evidence so far that a plugin is going that. There have been some suggestions that third-party Mac apps may be causing issues.

If anyone can reproduce the issue and fix it by removing third-party packages, I’d be grateful if you can identify which plugin is causing the issue, so we can look into how that could be happening.

0 Likes

Here are some findings from my side. I have to remove

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Lib/python3.3

and

~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Installed Packages/PyV8

both get re-created when I restart Sublime Text. When these are there, then the Preferences menu is greyed out. If I remove then and then start Sublime Text, I can access the Preferences menu, until, I quit Sublime Text and forget removing them.

So it has something to do with python, but I’ve no idea how.

Also, I’ve some packages installed, but besides the PyV8, which gets re-created, none of the others seem to hurt by themselves.

0 Likes

This is automatically created by Sublime Text itself, and is part of sys.path. Unless you placed files there, it will be empty, and should not affect anything.

This is installed by a package you’ve installed - most likely Emmet. Try removing Emmet and then delete PyV8 to see if your preferences menu works.

0 Likes

This happens when plugin_host fails to run, I had to chmod +x plugin_host and everything went fine.

0 Likes

Moral of the story: if something’s broken, try disabling Emmet. Even if there is no conceivable way that Emmet could be responsible.

2 Likes

So annoying still happening with build 3170. is there any fix for that ? as nothing works even rebooting … will have to have a look at vs code now.

0 Likes

It seems to be related to users running third-party software on their machine, as best we can tell. No one has yet been able to provide a way to reproduce it, so it isn’t clear what we could do to fix it.

0 Likes

Nothing is running on the mac only sublime. still the same issue …

0 Likes