Sublime Forum

Portable-ish user settings

I can’t think of a subject properly convey my idea, so bear with me…

I’ve recently converted to ST2 from Notepad++. I do a lot of work at home and at my office, and I use the heck out of dropbox to keep my environments in sync where I can. When I saw that ST2 had a portable version, I was thrilled - I immediately put it in my software share of my Dropbox and things work perfectly. So perfectly that if I leave a file open at work, it’s open here at home… even if it’s an unsaved file that I was just scratching notes down in… wow! That’s awesome!

I love having everything synced up like that however, there are two things I’d like different between my house and my office. Here at home I’m in a nice comfortable low-lit environment. I love the dark theme with a dark color scheme. However, at the office I’m in a harshly lit datacenter with fluorescent lights everywhere. Using a dark editor makes my eyes hurt after awhile because of the contrasts… so at work, I switch over and use the Soda light theme with a light colored color scheme. Perfect!

So on to my idea. I’d love to be able to create a location based preferences file… maybe based on my IP address or something like 192.sublime-settings and 10.sublime-settings (192 being a mask for 192.168.1.100 at home and 10 being a mask for my company’s internal subnet)? Or perhaps instead of a portable solution, I could install the regular client, but point it at a different folder to store specific settings in or something… then those could be synced home, but I could retain some settings locally…

Anyway, I’m just tossing ideas out there - I have no idea what’s possible… any thoughts?

0 Likes

Use git to share your settings. The sublime text settings may be completely versioned. Here https://github.com/evandrocoan/SublimeTextStudio you may use/see how mime is going on and how to install them anywhere you go by. If you know well git, you already now how you may do everything you mentioned, as use different settings across different computers. For example, on linux I use the font Monospace while on Windows I use the font Consolas, and the both fit well on git. Just one of the computers will have the font always changed but never added/committed.

0 Likes