Sublime Forum

Please update us on the official state of Sublime Text 2

Sublime Text 2 has not been updated in literally years. What is the official status of it?

If you don’t plan to update it any further or provide any support for it, then please tell us so plugin authors can feel free to stop supporting it as well.

Some of the changes in Sublime Text 3 are interesting, but it only worsens the fragmentation and makes my life as a plugin author worse because I now have to write even more special-case code/hacks and fight 2 ever diverging APIs and program in effectively 2 separate programming languages.

2 Likes

ST3 has been the de-facto standard for years already, but I don’t have any numbers. @wbond should have some numbers about Package Control users, but I’m not sure if he wants to share.

If you are having trouble with keeping your plugins compatible with ST2, just drop support and only provide a “bugfixes-only” release.

Also, Python 2 and 3 are not all that different. What I have more problems with is odd API behavior of ST2.

0 Likes

Over the past six months, 77% of users use Sublime Text 3 when interacting with Package Control.

Within the past month, 79% of users use Sublime Text 3.

The vast majority of users are on the beta build, not the dev build.

1 Like

Sublime Text 2 not developed anymore?

So… what’s the official answer?

0 Likes

If your question is"will there be any update to ST2 ?", I think it is safe to say that the answer is no.

0 Likes

Of course users are moving to SLT3, if SLT2 is not updated for years and some important packages stop supporting SLT2. What did you want to tell us witch those (slightly interesting) statistics?

0 Likes

Is there any reason to use ST2 over 3? I know it’s still in beta and some companies, or even users, don’t want to use/rely on beta stuff but it’s obvious that ST2 is quite outdated compared to 3.

With that being said i want to say that i really hope plugin developers work towards ST3 with partionally or optionally ST2 support.

0 Likes

It seems that the download page no longer point to Sublime 2! Instead Sublime 3 is the ‘default’ download. Maybe it’ll avoid us forum post of beginners about Sublime 2 :smiley:

0 Likes

Good call!

0 Likes