Sublime Forum

Plan to integrate package control website into sublime website

Hey,

I was wondering if there was any plan to integrate package control into Sublime Text more than it is today. I mean, Package Control is already integrated into Sublime Text editor, but what about integrating the package control UI into the sublime website directly ? Atom and VS Code are doing that and it enables packages to get a better visibility for end users. With some works, the packages could be more visible and it could make people being more involved into package development.

What do you think ?

1 Like

I don’t think changing the domain name will get more people involved in package development.

Package Control, and it’s website are all already open source. I don’t think bringing them within the private Sublime HQ source control would make things any different, and if anything I would think it would be more opaque to users and package developers.

0 Likes

Are there plans to improve the Package Control website? Being so important for Sublime Text in general, I think it would need some improvements. For example:

• user reviews

• recommended packages section: often ‘popular’ and ‘trending’ don’t say much. Many packages among the ‘popular’ ones have newer better alternatives, and there’s no way people can know about it. Some older package may be little maintained or buggy, etc. So, a list for packages that are confirmed updated and reliable.

• featured packages section: changing, for new/interesting packages that may deserve some attention.

0 Likes

Unfortunately my personal life right now doesn’t leave much time for open source work, so I don’t have plans on making significant changes. Certainly I could come up with ideas, and if someone made a few contributions to the website and seemed to understand the stack, I’d be inclined to let them run with some ideas.

0 Likes

Implementing it in the website doesn’t seem necessary.
Maybe a link in the header menu?

Extended functionality inside ST itself would be nice though.
PackagesUI has done some work on it already.
It gives you this nice list of installed/activated/inactive packages and provides links to each plugin’s GitHub page.

It only does it for packages you already have installed.
Often you need this info before you decide to install something.

Perhaps an easier solution would be to improve the package manager plugin itself by adding more info to the Install Package dropdown:

• Installation count (overall/recent)
  • When the latest update was committed
  • Github link clickable
  • Highlighting a plugin in the dropdown opens the plugins readme file in a temporary ST buffer

The last one should have an option to be toggled off in case people run into performance issues.

1 Like