Sublime Forum

Pieces of JavaScript Code Not working

I’m new to this, and downloaded Sublime to learn JavaScript. I’ve been working on learning from CodeAcademy.

I’m finding certain functions don’t work in Sublime. Any piece of code that requires a popup window (confirm, alert, prompt) give me an error in Sublime.

I already went and installed node.js on my Mac. The other functions (at least the ones I’ve learned thus far) work fine on Sublime, but I can’t get these things to work. I know the code is right because it worked on the editor provided by CodeAcademy. I copy and pasted into Sublime and I get the error. On Sublime 2, the error:

ReferenceError: prompt is not defined
at Object. (/Users/Danny/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/Packages/User/test.js:1:80)
at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
at startup (node.js:119:16)
at node.js:929:3
[Finished in 0.4s with exit code 8]

I tried downloading Sublime 3 to see if that would make a difference, but I still get pretty much the same error:

/Users/Danny/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/test.js:1
exports, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { var userChoice = prompt("Do
^
ReferenceError: prompt is not defined
at Object. (/Users/Danny/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/test.js:1:80)
at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:474:10)
at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
at startup (node.js:119:16)
at node.js:929:3
[Finished in 0.1s with exit code 8]
[cmd: [’/usr/local/bin/node’, ‘/Users/Danny/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User/test.js’]]
[dir: /Users/Danny/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User]
[path: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin]

I’d really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this. I’ve been busting my brain looking for a fix all over the web, but I haven’t run into anything useful.

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes

I found an explanation (though there is apparently no - simple - solution within Sublime itself) at this link - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27415183/node-js-interpreter-for-sublime-text-issue

0 Likes

Hopefully they figured that out after a year :roll_eyes: (topic is from 2015)
prompt is a function added by the browser. NodeJS is a different environment.
It has nothing to do with Sublime.

0 Likes