Sublime Forum

PHP Switch Case colors

Hi, the last update seems to have broken the code coloring in PHP for switch cases when you use brackets in the cases.

For example:

Switch ($a) {
    Case 1:
        functionA();
        break;
    Case 2:
        functionB();
        break;
}

is okay, but:

Switch ($a) {
    Case 1: {
        functionA();
        break;
    }
    Case 2: {
        functionB();
        break;
   }
}

Breaks the code coloring. I always, ALWAYS use brackets. This is a small issue that is very frustrating for me…

Thanks.

0 Likes

I’m guessing the title casing is a result of you typing on a software keyboard, as I believe in PHP the keywords need to be lower case (case instead of Case). It looks fine to me, maybe you have a third party PHP package installed that is causing the problem?

0 Likes

My mistake. The problem happens in JS. not PHP. PHP is fine. JS has that problem.

I don’t have any extension installed or anything, and everything was fine until I did an update this morning. I can replicate this anytime I want. I just have to use brakets around a case and all the following cases loose their coloring, which leads me to think I have a syntax error while I don’t… This is why it’s so frustrating… The lack of coloring leads you to think you have an error… And you spend 10 minutes trying to find a problem that doesn’t exist… Again, PHP is okay, but Javascript isn’t.

I pretty much solved my problem by downloading Visual Studio Code. XD

0 Likes

that sure looks like a bug in the JS syntax definition that ST is using. If you are still interested in a fix in ST, please log this at https://github.com/sublimehq/Packages/issues - the main JS syntax maintainer is very fast at fixing bugs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed.

There was a bug in the block code left over from the statements refactor a couple of months ago. I don’t think it was observable other than in switch statements. I checked all of the other statements, and none of them should suffer from a similar bug. I’ve added a test case to prevent future regressions.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong: I am fully aware most people don’t use these brackets anyway. I have had issues before when I had to modify someone else’s code and they did a if() without brackets as he had only one statement in the if. Didn’t realized, added another line and it took me a little while to figure out the problem… All of this for saving 2 characters… Call it PTSD if you want, but since then, I use my brackets everywhere: if() with only one statement… brackets! select-case… brackets! I even put them in my cereals…

0 Likes