Sublime Forum

Persistent Bookmarks for ST4?

I was using Better Bookmarks for ST3, only to keep my current bookmarks saved when I exit ST.
However, it seems not to be working on ST4…
How to save the current bookmarks on a file?

0 Likes

Packages that work in ST3 should also work in ST4 all else being equal. Do you see any errors in the Sublime Text console that might point at why it’s not working?

ST4 doesn’t have any new functionality in this area, so you still need a package/plugin of some kind to do this.

0 Likes

Well, now on a closer look, apparently the Better Bookmarks plugin never worked (at least for keeping native ST Bookmarks “Ctrl+F2” when a file is closed).
I say this because I was used to not actually closing the file inside ST, but just closing ST (which by default doesn’t close the file and recovers the previous session of all previously opened files).
In this way, the native bookmark is not lost as the file is not effectively closed.

But would you know some alternative to keep the bookmark registered even when the file is closed?

0 Likes

Apart from a package that tries to persist that information across file opens and closes, no. Unfortunately I’m not aware of any packages that do that, but I’ve also never looked for one.

1 Like

hi Roger!
thanks for mentioning ‘Better Bookmarks’
I gave it a try today and it seems to work :+1:

0 Likes

Just seeing this thread now …

I had similar problems with that plugin before migrating to ST4.

Desiring similar functionality I made my own plugin that does something similar, by not using bookmarks but instead using comments and basic syntax, which feels to me like a nicer approach if you don’t mind comments in your code. The “bookmarks” are persistent because they’re in the source code and should be viewable and navigable in any context outside of Sublime as it’s a simple matter of parsing comments.

Here’s my package Comment Marks.

Not trying to sell my particular plugin, just the basic idea behind it. My package is intentionally simple. You could make your own or use a similar older one (Table of Comments if recall correctly).

0 Likes