Sublime Forum

Package control: install specific version of a package

I can’t see a way to do this but maybe I’m overlooking something…

Can package control be used to install a specific version of a package older than the package’s current release? In other words can you downgrade an installed package?

I know that I can uninstall the package using package control and then manually install the version of the package which I require.

If not possible, then wouldn’t a setting like force_package_version be a logical addition to complement the auto_upgrade_ignore setting? For example:

"force_package_version": [ {"package": "PackageName", "version": "1.1.1"} ]

Thanks all.

1 Like

No, currently it can not. In the most recent major upgrade to the schema for package data we added the ability for a package to contain multiple versions, but no one has worked on the UI and code required to allow someone to install/pin a specific version.

As you mentioned, the current way to handle this would be to manually install the package with the version you want.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. wbond.

BTW congratulations on joining the Sublime HQ team. :relaxed:

0 Likes

@wbond Would be great to have a way to peg versions as Matt says. If a package gets autoupdated to a broken version, which has happened at least a couple of times now to one very popular package, hours of productivity at great cost can be lost dealing with the fallout. Much better to be able to use an old version of something that does the job, even if has limitations and bugs, than the shiny newest thing that doesn’t work at all.

0 Likes

I don’t disagree that is could be a useful feature. Proposing the feature with some details about implementation and how the settings would work would probably be a next step: https://github.com/wbond/package_control/issues

0 Likes

Any update on this? As @nickion mentioned, there’s no recourse when you update to a broken package.

0 Likes

No, but you are welcome to propose the feature with some ideas about how it could be handled on the Package Control issue tracker.

0 Likes