Sublime Forum

Package Control in Sublime Text 3

Hi,

I just installed the Package Control alpha for ST3 and for some reason it isn’t showing any packages. I press CTRL+SHIFT+P and type “Package Control:” and there is nothing listed after it. According to the Package Control docs, I should see options to install a package. Anyone else having this problem?

0 Likes

You probably didn’t install the alpha version that has ST3 compatibility. If you didn’t use git to clone the repository and switch to a branch, you are probably using version 1.6.

See wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa … lation#ST3 for instructions.

0 Likes

The instructions for getting Package Control in ST3 devolve into jibberish for us non-coders. Cloning from Git and whatnot. I don’t even know where that long instruction presented in the instructions is supposed to be placed. Any chance of someone simplifying this out for us less tech aware text monkeys?

0 Likes

Sure thing,

Before we start, make sure you have git installed which can be downloaded from here: http://git-scm.com/downloads and what type of machine are you using? (Mac, Windows, etc.)

0 Likes

Thank you, riddler.

I’m running Win7x64, and I now have git installed.

0 Likes

On OS X:

• Start the program Applications > Utilities > Terminal

• Type cd
    and a space in the Terminal window

• Switch to Sublime Text and select Preferences > Browse Packages…

• Drag the Packages
    folder from the Finder window to the Terminal window

• Press return

• Follow the last three steps given on the installation page linked above.

On Windows:

Git is not installed by default on Windows, so if you don’t have it you either need to install yourself from here: msysgit.github.io
Or you can download the ST3 branch separately from here: github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … ython3.zip

If you download a zip archive, you need to repeat that every time there has been changes. Then:

• Select Run…
    from the Start menu and type cmd in the text field
  • The other steps are the same as above

Hope that helps

0 Likes

Cool,

1. Open up the Windows “Search” Bar and start typing in “git bash” and click on the program that comes up.

2. Type in the following

cd $APPDATA/Sublime\ Text\ 3/Packages
  1. Now type in
git clone -b python3 https://github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control.git "Package Control"
  1. The package control is now installed! Open up Sublime and then open up the command palette with “Ctrl+Shift+P” and type in
Package Control:

and you should see a list of different commands. What you will want to use is “Install Package” and from there you can install the package you want.

0 Likes

And that has successfully done it. Just a couple of assumptions in that process that coders should be able to make that fiction writers aren’t exactly initiated into by default :smile: Thanks guys.

0 Likes

Actually, I purposefully have the alpha behind a git clone because I want users who will be able to provide technical feedback. It is not meant as an insult, but if you can’t figure out how to install git and clone a repository, you probably won’t be able to provide a whole ton of technical help debugging why it isn’t working.

FYI, with the alpha you are going to run into the fact that probably 90% of the packages don’t work in ST3 yet, and there is absolutely no help Package Control can give you in this regard. Once I have the new infrastructure up and running and it is ready for mass consumption, there will be a simpler install method and users will only see ST3-compatible packages when using ST3.

0 Likes

I understand, Will, and I’m not trying to step on any toes. Sure, I’m not any sort of coder, but I need the tools I need, and I am quite dogged in hunting them down so I can drag them home and cook them properly. Heck, I killed and dragged home the ST3 version of BufferScroll, all on my own :smile: Actually, it wasn’t that I couldn’t figure this out, its just that I came to the forum first for quick help and got it. The thing that apparently a non-coder didn’t know, the secret handshake, as it were was that I needed another piece of software to talk to github, when I had just been assuming I could use ST3 to carry out whatever operations were needed.

0 Likes

Hi,
I followed the instructions posted in this thread on Windows XP and I tried everything for git commands and there is definitely something missing.

I want to learn GIT at the command line, but the CD to the directory fails, and the 1st step doesn’t work either which is to type git bash and launch the program that comes up.

I’ve found bash.exe in the git install folder, but still the clone fails.

Can anyone help, I would like to learn this process as opposed to just copying it from the download dir.

0 Likes

If you need tools that work, I would recommend sticking with ST2 for now. Pretty much everything works there.

0 Likes

I was forced to upgrade to Sublime Text 3, I now have no Package control, no idea how to install the tools I need to get on with my work, and an ever closer deadline… Please help =(

0 Likes

@HappyDanny
I don’t want to sound rude, but what is stopping you uninstalling sublime text 3 and use sublime text 2? Especially if you have a tight deadline?

But just to answer your question, you just need to follow wbond’s instructions:
wbond.net/sublime_packages/packa … lation#ST3

Also if you already have plugins installed you have in mind, please bear in mind that not all plugins support ST3 yet. Wbond is maintaining a list of what is working / needs extra step to make it work / and not working.

github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … e-Packages

0 Likes

[quote=“svenax”]On OS X:

• Start the program Applications > Utilities > Terminal

• Type cd
    and a space in the Terminal window

• Switch to Sublime Text and select Preferences > Browse Packages…

• Drag the Packages
    folder from the Finder window to the Terminal window

• Press return

On Windows:

Git is not installed by default on Windows, so if you don’t have it you either need to install yourself from here: msysgit.github.io
Or you can download the ST3 branch separately from here: github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … ython3.zip

If you download a zip archive, you need to repeat that every time there has been changes. Then:

• Select Run…

from the Start menu and type cmd in the text field

• The other steps are the same as above

Hope that helps[/quote]

Well, this is embarrassing. I’m a MacHead, totally lost in this Git-thingy, but happily hand coding CSS and HTML in Sublime Text 3 (on my work Windows 7 machine). I followed the above excellent instructions, but came a cropper with:

Assuming - as I did - that those three steps are the following FOUR steps for ST3:

cd Packages/
git clone github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control.git “Package Control”
cd “Package Control”
git checkout python3

Well, I’m sorry to report that Git Bash throws an error with this line:
git clone github.com/wbond/sublime_package_control.git “Package Control”
Failed connect to github.com:443; No error

Yup, total newbie here - got to persevere though.

So I still can’t install Package Control, which means I still can’t install Browser Refresh for Sublime Text package - which is how all of this started this morning in the first place [slaps forehead].

Your advice would be appreciated. That is, after you guys have picked yourselves up from the floor and the laughter has subsided :wink:

0 Likes