Sublime Forum

Package Control error after moving to Apple Silicon Mac

I used Migration Assistant to move my files and apps over from an Intel-based Mac to a MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip. Since doing so, when I start Sublime Text (Build 4122) I get the following error in a dialog.

Package Control

Error executing: /usr/bin/git symbolic-ref -q HEAD

Working directory: /Users/gray/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Packages/Package Control

xcrun: error: unable to load libxcrun (dlopen(/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/lib/libxcrun.dylib, 0x0005): tried: ‘/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/lib/libxcrun.dylib’ (mach-o file, but is an incompatible architecture (have ‘x86_64’, need ‘arm64e’)), ‘/usr/lib/libxcrun.dylib’ (no such file)).

VCS-based packages can be ignored by changing the “ignore_vcs_packages” setting to true.

Sublime Text will need to be restarted once the setting is changed.

I assume this is a problem—is it?. It tells me how to make the message go away, bit how do I fix it?

Thank you!

0 Likes

Sounds like it’s running ST under rosetta but possibly without rosetta installed, or something along those lines. I’d suggest simply reinstalling the application as ST has native arm support.

0 Likes

I was already running the universal version, but I downloaded Build 4121 and overwrote Build 4122 to see what happens. When I launch ST, the same error appeared.

0 Likes

Did you use Finder to extract and override the currently installed application?

0 Likes

Yes, I did. That is the only way to install it, no?

0 Likes

This seems to be a common problem: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66064033/unable-to-run-git-on-mac-os-big-sur

0 Likes

Interesting. I searched for that error before my original post and did not see that post.

I was able to fix the problem by reinstalling Xcode Command Line Tools. I had them installed them before moving to the new machine, but as the error states, they were x86_64 based tools and not arm64e. In case anyone else runs into this issue, you can remove the old tools with:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

and then you can reinstall the tools with the proper architecture using:

xcode-select --install

0 Likes