Sublime Forum

Opening php files with Sublime on a chromebook!

Good day all, I am having a little trouble with my chromebook! for some reason when I want to work on a PHP file, Sublime isn’t in the list of text editors to use which is very frustrating as I love this product!

If anyone has any pointers as to whether there are settings in sublime which I can change or if there are some files to edit on the chromebook environment I’d really appreciate it.

I am also running a Linux localhost environment on the chromebook.

0 Likes

What desktop environment/file manager are you using that’s giving you a list of text editors? Our .desktop file has the categories of TextEditor and Development.

0 Likes

Hi @bschaaf, I am using a chromebook (Version 114.0.5735.205 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and am using the Termius file manager to connect to remote servers.

I have downloaded Sublime into the linux environment and can open and edit files on the linux development environment but when I want to edit a file from a server I am connecting to Termius doesn’t seem to find the editor. It Does find however (vi, vim and nano).

Where could I find the .desktop file?

Many Thanks, Chris

0 Likes

By Terminus do you mean the plugin for Sublime Text or something else?

0 Likes

Hi, @bschaaf, I do have the plugin for Terminus installed on Sublime but the app I am using to transfer friles to and from servers is ‘Termius’

When I use the Termius app and want to edit a file locally, Termius can’t find the Sublime app. I am wondering if it is because when I downloaded and ran Sublime, It was in the linux apps environment which may have some partitioning from the main OS? :confused:

All I am really trying to do is by default, open ph files with my sublime text editor. When I open .txt files on the chromebook I have the option to use sublime but not wen It is a .php file. I was wondering about file associations…

0 Likes

Sounds likely it’s an issue with Terminus. Are you able to open local php files using your default file manager?

0 Likes

Hi @bschaaf, sorry if I misunderstood you earlier.

I can open .php files with the Terminus package within sublime-text. That all works well. The problem I seem to be having is when I try and view a .php file outside of the Linux development environment (Penguin) I Can’t see any.

So in summery, because I have installed Sublime-text in the Linux local environment I can’t access files on the main Chrome OS it appears and because Termius was installed via google play on the main OS, Termius can’t look into the Linux Environment.

What I was hoping for was to be able to open the files stored in my local folder for Termius with Sublime-text but I fear the 2 applications just won’t see each other due to partitioning?

I was wondering, can I try and associate file extensions in a settings file for Sublime? Maybe that might help?

Many Thanks, Chris :slight_smile:

0 Likes

That sounds like an issue with chromeos unrelated to Sublime Text - any files saved within the Linux environment would have such an issue. See for instance: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-share-files-with-linux-apps-on-chrome-os/

1 Like

Many Thanks @bschaaf - That is exactly what I did since I last replied :smiley:

Just out of curiosity though, Can I associate .php files to be opened by sublime by default?

Many Thanks Again,

Chris

0 Likes

No clue. I’d suggest asking somewhere chromeos specific if you can’t find an answer online.

0 Likes