Sublime Forum

Opening a file through terminal

How to open a sublime file for text editing a .c file. I have already tried: subl file.c and I get
zsh: command not found: subl

When I try: subl .c I get
zsh: no such file or directory: file

So if I can get any insight on this that would be much appreciated I am pretty new to Mac’s native terminal.

0 Likes

https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/command_line.html

0 Likes

So I’m not sure if it is because I am using the M1 Max Chip but when I run the command for the “zsh” I literally get nothing like I’ll run the command then try to use “subl” and it cannot recognize the command. Also when trying to run “/Download/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin” I get “zsh: no such file or directory: /Downloads/Sublime”. Is this because of the white space between Sublime and Text?

0 Likes

Sublime Text works the same on x86 and arm. Yes, when a path has a space in it you need to quote that path - just like is done in the documentation I linked.

0 Likes

Interesting yeah whenever I run the Zsh command and I copy paste it over from the documentation you provided nothing happens. I go back to my .c file and it still won’t recognize “subl”.

0 Likes

You need to start a new zsh session for those changes to take effect.

0 Likes

Did that and still can’t get it to work. It’s not the end of the world or anything I can always just open the .c file through Sublime itself.

0 Likes

Can you run echo $PATH?

0 Likes

Yes and when I do I get “/Downloads/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin:” but multiply that by like 15.

0 Likes

Sounds like you ran the command from the documentation multiple times, I’d suggest cleaning up your ~/.zprofile after you’ve got this working. Can you run ls "/Downloads/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin/*"?

0 Likes

Yes when I run that exact same command it says that there is no such file or directory.

0 Likes

Then the path is wrong. Do you have the Sublime Text application in your downloads folder?

0 Likes

Actually the path would be wrong anyway, as /Downloads isn’t a directory. It’s ~/Downloads.

0 Likes

So in this screenshot you will see me locating Sublime in downloads then running the command and it still not working.Ignore the scribbly lines of me crossing my name out lol.

0 Likes

Could be a zsh thing that * doesn’t work in that context. Try setting the PATH in the zprofile using ~/Downloads.

0 Likes

Now I am getting a permission denied error which literally makes no sense. Because I have downloads open for reading and writing for my profile.

0 Likes

I FINALLY GOT IT I moved Sublime from Downloads to Applications then ran the command again and it opened the file I need help clearing the zprofile like you mentioned above though.

0 Likes

Great! Now that Sublime works from command line, type:

subl ~/.zprofile to open the editor.

At the bottom of the file you should see all the extra statements:

export PATH="/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/SharedSupport/bin:$PATH"

Delete all but one of them and save the file.

0 Likes