Sublime Forum

Opened files as a tree, maybe by toggling the Folders

I don’t use tabs. They’re too small, you can’t tell the relative path.

I do use “Open Files” in the sidebar. With the right tab sort, the files are listed in their order in the project folders. But when the list gets long, you can’t tell quite which is which, still.

I wish the Open Files listing could be a tree. There’s a plugin that does that, but it does it in a new pane, eating up horizontal space. And it’s somewhat fragile (sorry, plugin author).

If the Open files could show their containing folders, it would be perfect. Except it would eat up vertical space in the sidebar.

So, really, I wish there were a toggle that would show the Folders as is, OR filter the Folders to only show the Opened Files within. It would force the Folders to expand just so, but it would be great navigation, IMO.

I don’t see in the API that one could filter Folders so. Is this a possible plugin or is the Folders rendering so core that it can’t be reached via the API?

0 Likes

58 views later, this isn’t getting any love… :frowning: :slight_smile:

0 Likes

To answer your question, there’s currently no way via the API to do anything with the list of files as it appears in the side bar, so things like hiding files from the list of files or changing their visual properties based on their status (e.g. modified files) is not possible currently. Any plugins that do this have to resort to creating a scratch buffer to display the file list themselves such as the one you mentioned above.

0 Likes

Too bad… Thanks for the info, OdatNurd.

I can imagine many peeps here would say “use super+P to get around”. I know it’s powerful, but 30+ years programming, I’m realizing my brain works best looking at folder trees to get my bearings on where is what of what type. We spend a lot of time mapping containers for our code, then we can’t use said containers visually here (i.e. in terms of where are the files I’m currently working on).

I’m just whining now. I’ll stop. Thanks and cheers.

0 Likes