Sublime Forum

Open new tabs at end

What is the preference to cause tabs to open at the end of a tab row instead of next to the tab that is currently active?

thanks

0 Likes

There’s no setting for this

0 Likes

can we get a setting for this, because the current behavior ads a lot of overhead to rearrange tabs when opening new files.

thanks

0 Likes

mbond, what type of “new tab” are you talking about? Creating a new file or opening an existing file?

When I create a new tab (either by using File -> New File or by right clicking in the sidebar), the new tab gets created immediately after the currently active tab. However, when I double click on a file in the sidebar to open it, the new tab for it gets created at the end of the tab row. This behavior seems a bit backwards to me.

0 Likes

[quote=“phillip.koebbe”]mbond, what type of “new tab” are you talking about? Creating a new file or opening an existing file?

When I create a new tab (either by using File -> New File or by right clicking in the sidebar), the new tab gets created immediately after the currently active tab. However, when I double click on a file in the sidebar to open it, the new tab for it gets created at the end of the tab row. This behavior seems a bit backwards to me.[/quote]

I don’t use the project sidebar, all my files exist on remote servers and are opened via Panic’s transmit sftp client. Double clicking a file to edit with an external editor opens the new tab immediately to the right of the currently selected tab, in the last selected window (even if that window is on a different virtual desktop … which is another problem, that has its own thread).

I’d much rather have the ability to open all tabs at the end of the tab row. i can move them to where i want them after they are opened if i need them somewhere else (which would only happen for me if i’m using a split screen and want it on the other split, or i want it in another window on another monitor or virtual desktop).

0 Likes

+1 for this! It’s really confusing to have new files open in the middle of the list (tabs or “open files” to the left).

0 Likes

+1 for a setting for this

0 Likes

I haven’t tried it myself, but there’s a plugin for this: github.com/stylishmedia/SublimeText-Tabright

0 Likes

Need this feature, I want whenever I double click a new text file, it would be opened at end of the current file list.

Many thanks. That plugin doesn’t work. :frowning:

0 Likes

I’ve recently updated the plugin to work a bit better.

0 Likes

Plugin works great! Thank you!

0 Likes

excellent! TabRight does improve this considerably.

thanks!

0 Likes

In TabRight fixed bug with crashing sublime on close all tabs?

0 Likes

TabRight works great for me!

0 Likes

I know this is an old topic, but I came here searching for this and it seems it is still relevant.

I would like to have this ability without plugins. I use SideBar to see all my open files and I am always confused where my new tabs are opened (after active tab). I would just prefer for new tabs/files to go to the end (bottom for me) of the sidebar.

0 Likes

As of Build 4127 it should be possible, changelog:

• Added “open_tabs_after_current” setting for controlling where tabs are opened
3 Likes