Sublime Forum

No selection, get "2 characters selected; unable to find"

Hi,
When there is no selection in a document, I hit command-F and start typing a string to search for.
Say I type “sh”. Then as I type a third character (“u”) “sh” is selected in the document and the status bar says:
“2 characters selected; unable to find shu”
Interestingly, if I then command-tab to go to another app, then go back to ST2, the status bar now says:
2 characters selected.

In order to work around this, I have to write the string I want to search for into a blank document, then paste it into the find text box.
Seems like the bug is triggered by typing slowly?

This seems like a bug to me. It makes the Find functionality pretty useless.
It’s version 2.0.1 Build 2217 on Mac OS 10.7.4.

Incidentally, is there a way to tell ST2 that I never want to find in a selection, I always want to find in the whole document regardless of whether there is a selection? That is a somewhat separate issue from the one above.

Thanks,
Dan

0 Likes

If it’s searching in the selection it’ll say “unable to find shu in selection”. It sounds like it’s not actually searching in the selection in your case. What happens if you press “Find Next”?

“Search in selection” is only set if you open the find panel while you have a newline selected. It doesn’t turn on automatically otherwise.

0 Likes