Sublime Forum

"no build system" when I try to build (super beginner)

I made a build system(ish) that as far as i know should open dec.bat with whatever file I have open.
everything in the build system is this:
{
“cmd”: [“C:\temp\inwork\dec.bat”, “$File”]
}
But when I hit build, it just says “No Build System”.
When I run the batch file in cmd with just a random file it works fine.
As I said in the title, beginner doesn’t even start to describe me so any help would be much appreciated!
Picture:

0 Likes

There are two reasons to see this sort of message:

1. You have the build system set to Automatic, but Sublime doesn’t know what build system to use for the current file.

2. Sublime knows what build system to use (either Automatically or because you specifically selected it from the menu), but that build system is invalid.

You’re hitting #2 here; sublime-build files are JSON formatted, and the sample you shared above is not valid JSON because sequences in strings that begin with \ are character escapes and there are only a few valid ones.

Modifying your build system to use / for paths instead (Windows will use those just fine) or doubling them up as \\ should solve your issue here.

0 Likes

It works!!! I had made a a build system like that before and it had worked which is why i ignored the errors but thinking back that time was probably a fluke. Thank you!!

1 Like