Sublime Forum

"No build system" appears in the status bar

Hi everyone,

I am not sure what i did wrong. But I followed the standard build system syntax included in a python learning book:
{
** “cmd”: ["/usr/local/bin/python3"], “-u”, “$file”],**
}

The path above is correct as shown in the terminal screen although im not sure why three options appears:
python3 is /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3
python3 is /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3
python3 is /usr/local/bin/python3

When I run any type of functions on sublime text, the status bar states: No build system.
However, I made sure that the build is using Python3 (what i created above and saved in the default directory of sublime text)

I’ve also attached an image.strong text

Thank you in advance for the time you took to read and provide support :slight_smile:

1 Like

Assuming that the stray ** characters in your post above were meant to make the build system bold, your general issue is that your cmd line is broken; it’s supposed to be a JSON array of strings, but you have a closing ] character after the python command.

A corrected example would look like this:

{
    "cmd": ["/usr/local/bin/python3", "-u", "$file"],
}
2 Likes

how simple… thank you so much. im really at why three paths are shown on the terminal as it should only be one. i know ive installed and uninstalled it a week ago so that could be the issue. this however is probably out of the scope of this problem but if you know a way to have only one path, please share away.

thank you @OdatNurd

1 Like

Can you clarify what you mean by the three options appearing? Are they showing up in a menu or in the build results panel or somewhere else?

1 Like

It appears in the terminal (im using a Mac).
when I type the following command in the cmd line -> type -a python3

1 Like

That command is searching the path to tell you where it found the thing that you asked about (in your case python3).

The location in Frameworks is the location where Python is actually installed, and there is also a symlink to it in /usr/local/bin.

If I had to guess I would say that it generates the Frameworks line twice because it appears twice in your PATH variable.

In any case, now that everything is set up, you don’t need to worry about running that command.

1 Like