Sublime Forum

Newbie trying to start website. index.html isn't listed on cmd screen

Hi, I am beginning a coursera course and they won’t answer questions on set-up. I tried to set up my index.html page in sublime text 3 and it isn’t showing up in the directory. Did I store my index page incorrectly? It is stored in c\program files\sublime text\coursera-test\site\index

There is a screenshot below.
https://as1000.weebly.com/

Thanks!

0 Likes

The folder your directory listing is showing in the image is C:\Users\User, which isn’t the same as C:\Program Files\Sublime Text\coursera-test\site, so it’s hard to say if it’s working as expected or not.

Note however that it’s never a good idea to store files of your own inside of C:\Program Files; the appropriate place for your user files is in your home directory, which is usually under C:\Users.

From the looks of your image, your username is user, so the image above is showing you your home directory. You should move the directory you think you created from where it is to here.

This might be why it doesn’t seem to work as you would expect.

2 Likes

thank you. I moved it to c:\Users\User\Coursera-Test\Site but it still doesn’t work.

0 Likes

While you have the index file open in Sublime, what does it say when you hover your mouse over the tab?

0 Likes

C:\Users\user\coursera-test\site\index(index)

Thanks!

0 Likes

If you got that from the caption of the window, then your filename is named index and not index.html, which will stop the page from loading properly in your browser (and you probably also don’t see syntax highlighting in Sublime either), but you should still see the file in the directory listing when you check.

If you got that from the actual tab of the file, then your filename is named index (index), which while still missing the .html extension that’s needed as above, also has an extra (index) which you probably don’t want in there.

0 Likes

Thank you. I fixed it but still have the same issues.

0 Likes