Sublime Forum

Newbie needs help w/error message

Hello All-

A newbie to all of this. Just installed Sublime. I am using mainly for Python. I am getting the following error message, can someone please help me?

I am running on MacBook Pro with Catalina OS(10.15)

I appreciate it…

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3: can’t find ‘main’ module in ‘’
[Finished in 0.0s with exit code 1]
[cmd: [‘python3’, ‘-u’, ‘’]]
[dir: /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS]
[path: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Library/Apple/usr/bin:/Library/Apple/bin]

0 Likes

When you start working with a new file, you need to save it before you run it for the first time to give it a name on disk. If you don’t, then the name of the file is empty, so Sublime executes the cmd that you see (which has no filename) and Python doesn’t know what to do.

0 Likes

Wow… I feel like a real idiot. In the menu:

Tools

I have the “Save All on Build” checked. I thought that would auto save the file when I hit Command-B. What does checking that option do?

And thanks for the ridiculously fast response!!!

0 Likes

It does indeed save all files that have unsaved changes when you choose the build command, but that doesn’t include a file that hasn’t been previously been saved at least once (and given a name). I imagine that’s something related to how you’d be prompted to save the file, and if you happened to have something sitting in a tab temporarily you would get prompted every time, which might be a hassle if you didn’t want to persist it.

0 Likes

Makes sense. I am really liking Sublime in just the very short time I have been using. I think I have finally found an editor! Thanks again for the super quick responses…

1 Like