Sublime Forum

New user - Hello World doesn't build

Hi, this morning I downloaded Python 3.8.2 and Sublime 3.2.2 onto Windows 10. The python command works in the Command window, and I can run a Hello World! print statement in a terminal session. So, Python seems to be working fine. In Sublime Text, I try to Build the statement:

print(“Hello world!”)

The result at the bottom of the screen is:

[Finished in 0.1s]

I’m reading the book Python Crash Course and used its instructions to change the Build System, but no luck. I’m experienced in other languages but new to Python and Sublime Text, and can’t figure out what I’m missing. Do you have any ideas why the print statement isn’t working in Sublime? Thanks!

0 Likes

Sublime not executing my py files

If you only see the text Finished without any error message, then whatever Sublime is trying to execute says that it’s working.

The most common issue related to what you’re seeing here is choosing the build system Python - Syntax Check, which you might think runs your code and also does extra checking but which in fact just asks Python to compile your code without running it (so you can see if there would be any errors).

In that case, choose Tools > Build With... from the menu and make sure that you just pick Python and not Python - Syntax Check.

0 Likes

Awesome, that did the trick! Thank you so much, OdatNurd, for your prompt reply and clear explanation. Sublime is showing my print results as expected. Thanks again, I appreciate your help!

2 Likes

Hi there,
I also have the same issue reported by u255991.
I’m running Python 3.9.1 and Sublime Text 3211 on Windows 10.
I followed all the instructions on PCC to get the “Hello Python world!” Message but all I get is [Finished in 0.1s] and no actual printed message.
I also followed the suggestion by OdatNurd, in Sublime I went to Tools—>Build with—>Python (instead of Python-Syntax Check) but still no luck!
Can anybody help please?
Thank you in advance :pray:t2:

0 Likes

Quick update.
I was actually able to fix my issue.
Apparently I needed to click on
TOOLS —> SAVE AS BUILD
without doing that and saving each time I was modifying my “hello_world.py” file, the file was seen as “empty” and so nothing was displayed. I hope this helps others users who might stumble in the same issue.

1 Like