Sublime Forum

New DPI scaling makes my text look like old TV screen text

Hello, I could use help with making the text display look like it did before. Now it looks like I have a really old TV and am trying to read the text on the TV screen. To be more specific the letters have extra pixels on the right-hand and possibly left-hand sides that are off-color like a reddish or greenish tint. This is making it hard to read without eye strain.

Example:

(extra info: my windows 10 “Scale and Layout” setting is set to 175%)

I’ve been a paying customer of sublime text for almost 5 years, and use it basically every day at my work. I appreciate all the work that has gone into it.

I hope that someone can help me with my issue.

What I’ve tried:

Someone mentioned that a setting could be added:

"dpi_scale": 1.0

and I tried that in both the “Preferences.sublime-settings” for default and user but that didn’t change anything after saving and restarting each time for default and for user.

0 Likes

Weird fonts in new update 3.1 Build 3170

This indicates you likely have your ClearType tuning set to heavy color-based anti-aliasing. One of the improvements in the recent dev cycle is that we now respect how you’ve tuned Windows to display text. This allows users to choose if they prefer lighter or heavier anti-aliasing, along with how much color is used. Many application don’t respect this, but some do.

You can use the ClearType Tuning application in Windows, or you can use the registry to edit the values. Personally I find the registry method easier to understand since you have direct control over the numeric values used for tuning. Here is a post where I discuss the values that can be tweaked: Dev Build 3164.

0 Likes

Thanks, that helped a lot. I used windows 10 cleartype settings to do the settings wizard over again for all 3 monitors and then restarted sublime text 3 and it worked to make the text much better. The text still doesn’t look as good as before, but I’m hesitant to adjust the registry on my company’s computer that I use.

0 Likes