Sublime Forum

Native tab vs new window for subl command (macOS)

I’m on macOS and I’m hoping to get the following behavior when opening a directory:

• subl . opens the current folder in a new tab of the current window
  • subl -n . open the folder in a new window

But, I’ve tested changing the OS system preferences for tabs and the sublime preference “native_tabs” in various combinations, but both commands always do the same thing. Is there a way to accomplish this?

For background, I generally do all my work in a single window with tabs for the different projects, so I usually want subl to open folders as tabs. Sometimes I’m in another Space and want to open a non-work-related folder in a new window in the current Space. But, the behavior of subl causes the folder to open in a new tab of the window in a different Space. So, I need to drag the tab to be a separate window, then move that window to the Space I was in.

It seems like the description of subl -n only applies when opening individual files. If what I’m looking for isn’t currently possible, it seems like it should be… subl -n . to open a folder in a new window (regardless of native_tabs setting) and subl -t . to open a folder in a new tab of the current window (regardless of native_tabs setting), while just subl . would follow the native_tabs setting behavior.

0 Likes