Sublime Forum

My Visual Tutorial for Sublime Text

It is my my visual tutorial for Sublime Text. It is intuitive. I hope that you can understand plugin development just in one sight.:wink:

Is there some tutorials like this one, that are intuitive for the beginners?

2 Likes

I’ve written over 500 Lua tutorials, but not like this in the image and I am working on porting some of them over to Python along with creating new ones…

A few things have been missed if you’re going for Python / Sublime Text Plugin Development…

To call the BasicCommand you’d convert it to lowercase: basic_command

I’d highly recommend avoiding spaces when coding Python, here’s why:

• The standard is to use spaces, but this isn’t helpful those anyone with visual deficits, etc…
  • A 10,000 line file can easily be over 1MB in size with spaces, and under 200KB using tabs.
  • For people with visual impairments, a tab can be dynamically sized without changing the size of data of the file and without editing a file, different people with different visual impairments can change the scale of their tabs to make the code easier to read for them

I’d recommend figuring out a coding style to use and sticking with it. PErsonally, I use 3 comment lines above classes / functions with the center being where the important info is, airy brackets ( ie this, for, args, etc… )[ and ][ this, etc… ] along with test = x; instead of together.

If you’re interested in learning Python, I’d recommend reading code, setting goals, and working towards them.

As for images like this to ‘teach’, some may be interesting and useful, but I’d envision seeing this as more useful for Sublime Text - for instance, Sheet, View, etc… has nothing to do with Python really and more to do with Sublime wordage, class-names / objects used to describe areas of the program. – While it can be useful to know, it’s much more helpful to know about the objects and what they do instead of simply their locations.

ie some interesting issues: https://www.dropbox.com/s/glr9him0sb2x853/func_args_initializing_-_arg_init_is_reused_instead_of_being_new_each_time.py?dl=0

or: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpggw72zm6zijoq/try_except_finally_-_does_not_capture_all_issues_properly.py?dl=0

I plan on updating these some more, and adding even more.

1 Like