Sublime Forum

My Sublime Text is suddendly slow!

I noticed recently that my Sublime Text is very slow in certain operations. For instance, opening a folder (with lots of source files inside) I get the sidebar showing this animated icon:

…and I can’t proceed until this situation is over… which is lasting for several tens of seconds (!!!)
Now, I noticed that a fresh install is working well (on the same set of files), therefore I guess the problem is due to some extension. So, how can I understand which is the extension causing the problem?
Thank you in advance for your answer.

0 Likes

You can do a binary search through your packages:

1. disable the first half of your packages.
  2. Is the problem gone? Then your bad package is part of the first half packages. Goto 1 and apply it to the first half of your packages (so disable the first quarter etc) If the problem is not gone, the faulty package is part of the second half of your packages. Goto 1 and apply it to the second half of your packages.
1 Like

Sublime Text is very slow in certain operations …which is the extension causing the problem?

Assuming Earth, human settlement with electrical and supporting human resources. Fascinated enough to respond.

Binary poking about never works for me on Linux, that OS framework is just too chaotic. More luck on Unix, but has to be combined with rigorous wipe of Caches, Cookies, Saved Application State and Webkit. Cleanup as you move along. Interaction of installed packages with the system where data brokerage is not managed well (for all practical intents and purposes), is a nightmare… Consistently, having identified a problem package in a particular machine, it is then time to reinstall, avoiding the package and writing the package author… However, another machine at the same time may experience no problem with the package. So machine detailing is likely far more important than grumbling over spilled seed.

Perhaps even more problematic is snooping about for googly similars. Sublime text is powerful, because it does its own thing in the programming flow on your devices. No cloudy pollution. Everything that you do is always unique. Sublime package management is like gardening. Build a robust crop of essentials, and suit your diet accordingly.

0 Likes