Sublime Forum

Multi-platform syncing: Only User folder is not enough

I use ST3 on several platforms, and I want to automatically sync all settings and packages between these platforms. According to this guide, the only folder that should be synced is the User folder. Yet, in ST documentation it is stated that

This is important: Platform-specific settings files in the Packages/User folder are ignored. This way, you can be sure a single settings file overrides all the others.

For example, I use PlainNotes package, and the path to directory with .note-files differs between platforms.I indicate these paths individually in files “Notes (Platform).sublime-settings”. If I put these files into the User folder, they are indeed ignored, so I keep them one level up in the Default folder. But in this way, these files are not synced.

To make things more complicated, I’ve noticed that platform-specific build-files are NOT ignored if they are put in the User folder. E.g. I have “Make (Linux).sublime-build” and “Make (Windows).sublime-build”, and they work fine. Why this logic is not applicable to build-files, but only to settings-files?

1 Like

There is no such thing as platform specific build files:

Probably if you need different paths on different platforms, the plugin should offer native support for it, rather than the user needing to use the platform specific preferences hack

There is an open feature request for platform specific preferences here though:

1 Like