Sublime Forum

Moving to the Windows Store?

With windows 10 s on the horizon. Are there any plans to move have a version for the windows so or completely move it to the windows store?

0 Likes

The biggest difference in Windows 10 S is that can only run apps downloaded from the Windows Store. These apps are checked for security and run in a secure container. This ensures that applications can’t mess with your registry, leave files behind, or cause problems with the rest of your PC. You can get the same benefits by running those new Universal apps from the Windows Store on a Windows 10 PC. But unlike normal Windows 10, you won’t have the option of downloading other apps that aren’t available in the store.

Sounds like there is no point having a powerful text editor on Windows 10 S because you can’t save any files that other apps could use?

Anyway I sincerely hope ST doesn’t move exclusively to the Windows store, because those of us sticking to Windows 7 would lose out…

EDIT: another article on Windows 10 S here:

Microsoft does have a fairly simple method for users to repackage normal apps to UWP

so it looks like you could do this yourself to get ST working on Windows 10, if you wanted

Microsoft has said that the default browser cannot be changed in Windows 10 S.

oh dear, people will be stuck with Edge… that should slow adoption at least :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining this. I guess the platform would suck for developers unless they’re doing everything online.

0 Likes

Well, it’s not like you can’t save files in 10S. I assume it will have user documents and a normal filesystem (in contrast to iOS). What they mean by “apps can’t leave files behind” is that app-store apps are bound to tight rules as to where they put configuration etc. Normal apps can leave (dot-)files wherever they please, dump stuff in the user documents, store things in appdata, or put things in the registry. To be accepted in the store and run on 10S, an application basically needs to be converted to comply to the rules.

That said, I can’t imagine it being a very practical environment for development. I think even for a simple website you’ll soon be shelling out the $50 to get stuff done in the “real” version of Windows 10.

1 Like

You can use normal Win32 Apps from the Windows Store as you would use them without it. Look at Spotify, Irfan View, Inkscape etc. There are many Win32 Apps in the Store, that manipulate files.
Even Package Control could work with Sublime Text, if it works in the same directory as the app itself.

Windows Store apps can demand full file access and work as you would expect. Sure they have some limitations, but nothing that should affect simple apps like Text- or Code-Editors.

I would absolutely love Sublime Text in the Windows Store, especially if it would sync my packages, projects and other stuff between my machines.

0 Likes