Sublime Forum

Move cursor up or down a few lines at a time from the keyboard

Hi, I’m wondering how to create a keyboard shortcut to move the caret up down a few lines at a time. Say:

alt+up —> moves cursor up by 10 lines (or to beginning of file, if that comes first)
alt+down —> moves cursor down by 10 lines (or to end of file, if that comes first)

I tried a few things but failed. Couldn’t find a default key binding that moves the cursor up/down a line to model myself on.

Thanks!

0 Likes

Pg up and pg down?

0 Likes

save this as plugin in your sublime user folder

import sublime
    import sublime_plugin

class PlusLineCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
    	def run(self, edit, lines = 10):
    		(row,col) = self.view.rowcol(self.view.sel()[0].begin())
    		self.view.run_command("goto_line", {"line": row+1 + lines})

class MinusLineCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
    	def run(self, edit, lines = 10):
    		(row,col) = self.view.rowcol(self.view.sel()[0].begin())
    		self.view.run_command("goto_line", {"line": row+1 - lines})

{ "keys": ["alt+down"], "command": "plus_line", "args": {"lines": 10}},
	{ "keys": ["alt+up"], "command": "minus_line", "args": {"lines": 10}},

you can also use ctrl+g to go any line or use vi mode vi already have this future
j and k move down and up one line, so 10j and 10k move down and up ten lines. You can repeat any motion by putting a number before it. (if you in vi mode)

1 Like

0 Likes

Thanks, looks just like what I want, but I can’t get it to work! (Warning: I am a newbie at this.)

So far I copy-pasted the plugin part into a file that I called “updown”, placed in ~/Library/…/Sublime Text 3/Packages/User and I have copy-pasted the two user keybindings into my keybindings file. Nothing happens. I have tried to restart sublime text as well.

0 Likes

I think it should be updown.py and check sublime console for any errors (ctrl+`)

0 Likes

Thanks, changing to updown.py did it.

There was a slight bug: moving up past top of file had a “wraparound” effect. I changed that by putting

max(1, row+1-lines)

in the second function.

In passing, I don’t understand how sublime text knows that “plus_line” refers to a function named “PlusLineCommand”… I guess that’s some sort of convention?

0 Likes

Yes, command names are converted to snake_case internally with the “command” suffix stripped.

0 Likes

Hi unknown_user (or whoever else is still listening). I realized that I would also like

shift+alt+up
shift+alt+down

to do the same thing, while extending the current selection or starting a new selection. Can your code be modified to do that? (I tried and failed.)

Thanks!

0 Likes

The code in the forum post I wrote that @kingkeith linked above is a drop in replacement for the move command that takes the same arguments and also takes an extra argument that allows you to specify a movement amount.

If you use that, you can replicate the key bindings used for Shift+Up and Shift+Down using that command and a repeat amount of your choosing to do this,

0 Likes

Hi, thanks for the pointer. It worked! For reference, here are my key bindings, using your code:

{ "keys": ["alt+up"], "command": "move_amount", "args": { "by": "lines", "forward": false, "amount": 7 } },
{ "keys": ["alt+down"], "command": "move_amount", "args": { "by": "lines", "forward": true, "amount": 7 } },
{ "keys": ["shift+alt+up"], "command": "move_amount", "args": { "by": "lines", "forward": false, "amount": 7, "extend": true } },
{ "keys": ["shift+alt+down"], "command": "move_amount", "args": { "by": "lines", "forward": true, "amount": 7, "extend": true } },

And for even more reference, here is the code question (courtesy OdatNurd):

import sublime
import sublime_plugin

class MoveAmountCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):
	def run(self, edit, amount=1, **kwargs):
    	for _ in range(amount):
        		self.view.run_command("move", args=kwargs)

Thanks again!

1 Like

I’m using vintage mode where I start my selection using ‘v’. This version based on the version from @youlam detects that a selection has started and if so maintains it.

import sublime_plugin

class MoveAmountCommand(sublime_plugin.TextCommand):

def run(self, edit, amount=10, **kwargs):
        for region in self.view.sel():
            if len(region) > 0:
                kwargs['extend'] = True
        for _ in range(amount):
            self.view.run_command("move", args=kwargs)
0 Likes