Sublime Forum

Missing UTF8 BOM

So, I am trying to make a mod to a game but always when I try to open it this pops up:
[21:00:09][localize.cpp:1322]: Localization file ‘localisation/events_l_english.yml’ should be in in utf-8-bom encoding
[21:00:09][pdx_localize.cpp:988]: Missing UTF8 BOM in localisation/events_l_english.yml
[21:00:09][localize.cpp:1322]: Localization file ‘localisation/events_l_english.yml’ should be in in utf-8-bom encoding
[21:00:09][pdx_localize.cpp:988]: Missing UTF8 BOM in localisation/events_l_english.yml
[21:00:51][lexer.cpp:71]: File ‘events/Finland.txt’ should be in utf8-bom encoding (will try to use it anyways)

0 Likes

File > Save with Encoding > UTF-8 with BOM ?

0 Likes

Byte-Order-Mark doesn’t even make sense in an encoding like UTF-8. Those people need a boot up the arse

2 Likes

Technically true if you don’t care about legacy ANSI encodings, but some (maybe older) programs use the BOM to decide whether to decode the content using utf-8/utf-16 or just read it as ANSI (with default codepage).

Even Firefox/Waterfox fail to display utf-8 text correctly, if the BOM is missing and no <meta charset="utf-8"> is defined. And so do many others, too.

0 Likes

Modding PDS games I see? Like others said, file > save with encoding should do the trick.

0 Likes