Sublime Forum

Minor issue with the way sublime merge is installed

After many years of experience running numerous Linux distributions I have come to the conclusion that nothing should ever be installed system wide unless it is done so via which ever package manager is used by the system. In my case that would be the gentoo ebuild system.

With sublime text I can take the tgz file and extract the sublime_text_3 directory directly into my ~/bin (actually I can also emerge sublime text directly but prefer it in ~/bin).

With sublime merge however the install wants to write things into /opt and into /usr which is not acceptable unless those writes are being handled by an official ebuild (i also never use overlays etc).

Would it be possible to have a version of sublime merge that can be installed, in its entirety into ~/bin so I do not have to pollute a package managed system with unmanaged files?

0 Likes

It sounds like you downloaded the pkg.tar.xz file and not the tar.xz file. The pkg version of the file is laid out as you describe above, but the tar.xz file is laid out like the Sublime Text tarballs are (except the top level folder is sublime_merge and not sublime_text_3):

tmartin:dart:~/Downloads> tar tvf sublime_merge_build_1103_x64.tar.xz | head -5
drwxr-xr-x jskinner/staff    0 2019-01-24 02:04 sublime_merge/
-rwxr-xr-x jskinner/staff 15008 2019-01-24 02:04 sublime_merge/git-credential-sublime
-rwxr-xr-x jskinner/staff 1120784 2019-01-24 02:04 sublime_merge/crash_reporter
drwxr-xr-x jskinner/staff       0 2019-01-24 02:04 sublime_merge/Packages/
-rwxr-xr-x jskinner/staff   15008 2019-01-24 02:04 sublime_merge/ssh-askpass-sublime

Using that one should do what you want (I install Text and Merge the same way you do).

0 Likes