Sublime Forum

Minimal Syntax Selecting Menu

For all that have used Sublime Text enough to know what a syntax definition is, I think we all know how large the menu is. It’s obscenely huge! I propose a smaller menu similar, if not, exactly like Notepad++'s syntax menu.
It looks a little something like this:

The names of languages with similiar starting names are put into categories, while other languages are put out on their own. As for Custom definitions, ones that the user has previously made, is put at the bottom in it’s own area. Now, of course the Sublime Text Dev team doesn’t have to do exactly as this is, but I think it will save some people some time when it comes to finding a language.

I hope you can understand my point here, Sublime Text’s definition menu is a bit too big.

Hope I can get some feedback on this topic, I think it’d be a great idea!

0 Likes

I’d probably recommend using the command palette, as you get very quick fuzzy matching without worrying about trying to optimize, large, slow menus.

1 Like

Is there any way to get a list of loaded syntaxes?

It’s easy to call sublime.find_resources('*.sublime-syntax'), but filtering out hidden syntaxes and getting the proper syntax names would require parsing all of the syntax definitions. I presume that Sublime must have its own in-memory representation.

I’ve just written most of a command that lets the user pick a syntax definition from a quick panel, but these last details seem difficult.

0 Likes

if you don’t use some syntaxes, consider adding them to your ignored_packages list so they won’t take up space

0 Likes

Additionally, if you only use a small subset of languages and want to use the menu to get at them, you could also add a customized menu section that only contains the syntaxes/file types that you regularly use, and then only use the bigger list in exceptional cases.

0 Likes