Sublime Forum

Merging branches

Good morning,

Perhaps this is more a git question but… What does it mean :

Merge branch ‘devel’ of gitlab.ramattack.net:aaaa/bbbb into devel

First the fact of being with ’ the source merging branch, is different that not having the ’ ?.

Or it’s just similar to a normal commit of the local repo of devel into the own devel repo?.

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Cheers!

0 Likes

I suggest reading up on git branches and merges: https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Branching-Branches-in-a-Nutshell

0 Likes

Question about pink line

Thank you so much for your answer. I know the concept of merging. The question really was… about the sense and when is done a merging of the same branch in the same branch and if that is not the same as a pull and commit done over a branch…

I don’t find the answer in the tutorial you point me… although thank you so much for for the guide :slight_smile: . I’ll keep it near :slight_smile:

0 Likes

The question really was… about the sense and when is done a merging of the same branch in the same branch and if that is not the same as a pull and commit done over a branch…

A merge doesn’t have to result in a merge commit being made; this is called a fast-forward merge. The branches named are not (necessarily) the same. As the message states: the ‘devel’ branch from gitlab.ramattack.net:aaaa/bbbb was merged into your (local) ‘devel’ branch. Two branches, with the same name but on different machines, and probably referencing different commits.

0 Likes

Thank you so much really :slight_smile:

0 Likes