Sublime Forum

Merge in sublime

I find myself annoyed with sublime merge being an external application. Maybe this is because of my time using magit under emacs. I find i want to “just do a quick”… on the current project and I tend to accumulate a bunch of running merge instances as I swap around. I would love it if there was a way for merge to act as part of sublime, as a tab inside sublime itself that belong to the current project that i can pop up and dismiss as easily as I can a tab in sublime.

Probably not possible, but it is on my wish list.

1 Like

I doubt the devs would embed part of the Merge UI into Text, even if it was possible. You can always add a git plugin to Sublime Text to accomplish those quick tasks.

0 Likes

There is one, but if I start using it I will probably abandon sublime merge… I figured it was worth a request.

0 Likes

I mentioned I expected it wasnt probable, but they use the same systems, so maybe it is?

You never know unless you ask, i would love to stick with sublime merge, but this little annoyance has been growing for me so, I figured I would at least ask.

0 Likes

Sublime Merge is designed as a separate application, with its own settings and layout. Squishing SM into a ST tab would massively impact usability, not to mention what it would be like in a setup with multiple side-by-side groups. You’d also lose most keyboard shortcuts as they’re already associated with functionality in ST. Opening a repository from ST already just opens a tab in SM, which can be just as easily dismissed as a tab in ST.

3 Likes

Figured.
But thought I would at least ask.

0 Likes

This very same feature came into my mind today. After reading all the comments in here, I still think would be a great feature, i.e. either merging SM into ST or letting a user who bought both SM and ST open a tab in ST as a SM repo.

Sublime Merge is designed as a separate application, with its own settings and layout.

True, but SM has currently minimal number of settings, therefore thouse could be either (1) easily read in ST from SM; or (2) added into ST settings.

Squishing SM into a ST tab would massively impact usability

True, but IMHO to the better.

not to mention what it would be like in a setup with multiple side-by-side groups.

I don’t see a problem there. In the worst case scenario, ST would disable side-by-side grouping for SM tabs.

You’d also lose most keyboard shortcuts as they’re already associated with functionality in ST.

I don’t think that is a problem, because keyboard shortcuts are / can be context aware, i.e. when a user opens a SM tab in ST, it would use different keyboard shortcuts associated with different commands.

Opening a repository from ST already just opens a tab in SM, which can be just as easily dismissed as a tab in ST.

Yeah, I’d like to see is to open that tab directly in ST, not outside of it. :wink:

0 Likes

There is no actionable way to go from a view that looks like this:

To this:

And the alternative is this:

Which is also entirely unusable.

0 Likes

That last screenshot made me laugh. I can at least understand that doing an integration like that would be very complex for Sublime Text.

We have been spoiled by VS Code. The closest thing you could get by is using git from the terminus plugin for Sublime Text and the gitsavvy plugin.

0 Likes

Can you imagine what it’d look like in a 4+ column, 4+ row, or 4x4+ grid views? :joy:

0 Likes

You may not like it, but this is PEAK design. Make it possible, @bschaaf! :triumph::ok_hand:

0 Likes

Yup, embedding merge verbatim would not be a great idea. I am thinking of experiences like git savvy or magit in emacs where the git subsystem works with the editors window management active project and mode systems. I would like to keep using merge but not have to flip away from my editor.

That said, it is clear I am in the minority of people that prefer a self contained project in an editor experience.

Git savvy is great, but I figure with merge it will fall into disrepair.

0 Likes

It is a great idea been able to switch between Sublime Text and Sublime Merge while using Sublime Text. The problem is that such feat would be very complex to do and require a huge rewrite to do. Because Sublime Text was not designed with that in mind. I use Affinity Suite and they have a program named Publisher that lets you use the other programs in their suite without ‘switching’ the application. They call it Studio Link. Serif, the company behind Affinity, did it right. Nonetheless, they did so because Affinity Publisher was designed with that in mind. Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer don’t have Studio Link.

0 Likes

another concern i have with this idea is that it would make Sublime Text bloated. I need a decent text editor that is fast and lightweight.

0 Likes