Sublime Forum

Making Dark Mode Free!

Hello,

I really appreciate that I can use Sublime Text and Merge for free. They are amazing but they are also expensive, and not affordable for a lot of people. In the case of Sublime Text, I used the app for a long time before I actually buy it, but at the end I did because I love it and thought that I can afford it.

I think I’ll end up doing the same for Sublime Merge too, I’m using it everyday, enjoying it everyday, and considering to purchase it very frequently. All that being said, I would like to argue that keeping Dark Mode behind paywall is not the best decision. I don’t want to purchase the app because I want the Dark Mode. I want to buy it because I like to support it, and because it’s an amazing piece of software.

I understand that Sublime Merge is not a free product and you would like to earn money too but I don’t think keeping Dark Mode/Theme at this day and age is a way of encouraging people to purchase your app. Dark Mode is not a paying feature anymore, and it’s more and more an accessibility feature that should come by default.

I’ve tried to put my opinion very gently and politely. Please read it as a criticism/opinion, and not a demand.

I really like both apps, and I keep recommending it to everyone I know.

Cheers,
Amir.

1 Like