Sublime Forum

'make' not recognized as int/ext command on running python. what to do?

when i try to run a python code, sublime text is not recognizing functions. Also, i get a msg saying make not recognized as an int or ext command.
I have made a new build system for python using the correct path.
I am complete novice to the world of programming.

0 Likes

What do you mean by “not recognizing functions”? Have you got the syntax set to Python? Which build system are you using?

0 Likes

I created a new build system, something that i looked up online, cause i saw many comments on how the in built python build does not work.
But its still not working, i get the make is not recognised… error when i try to run anything.

0 Likes

Could you share the custom build system you’ve written? Are you sure you’re using said build system?

0 Likes

https://youtu.be/rIl0mmYSPIc the build code is in the description of this video. I changed the location according to where python is installed in my laptop.
Yes i am positive i am using the newly built system

0 Likes

That build system doesn’t reference make. Either your build system is set to make or something else is trying to run make.

0 Likes

What do you suggest I do?

0 Likes

A screenshot with the selected build system and the error you’re seeing might help diagnose the issue.

0 Likes

That’s the error i am getting.

0 Likes

Under the menu Tools>Build System you need to select the custom build system you’ve written.

0 Likes

The output panel describes the error you are getting. It says you are trying to run the executable make but the system cannot find it in its path. Either you need to install make or register it in your PATH variable.
On a side note, If you are running a simple python script (with no 3rd party imports from a virtual environment or 3rd party packages installed globally), Sublime’s standard python build system is all you need.

0 Likes

when i use the built in system i get this error.

0 Likes

You need to save it first as a python file. It doesn’t make sense to run an unsaved plain text file using a Python build system.

0 Likes

when i use the build system i created, i get this error.

0 Likes

Observably, the build that you’re using here is not the one that comes from the description that you linked in the video above. If you read the output you can see that it’s trying to run:

"shell_cmd": "make"

However, the build system in the video used:

"cmd": ["C:/Program Files/Python35/python.exe", "-u", "$file"],

As much as you think you’re selecting the build system that you created, you’re not. I would perhaps recreate the build system and save it with a really obvious name like ThisIsMyCustomBuildForPython.sublime-build and then choose the build with that name from Tools > Build System.

0 Likes