Sublime Forum

macOS Mojave: Dragging files/folders over dock icon opens additional new file

I’ve been using Sublime Text for many years now. To open files or folders, I always drag them over the dock icon.

On a completely clean installation of macOS Mojave, I installed Sublime Text 3176. Now, when I drag a file or folder over the dock icon, an additional new file (named ‘untitled’) is opened. See attached image (Just for clarification: The additional window was opened exactly behind the wordpress window. I dragged the wordpress window a little bit to the right, so you can see it.)

I tried to upgrade to the latest dev build (3184). Same problem. Any idea? Thanks a lot, Karl.

0 Likes

The “additional” window is actually the original window. The folder you dragged & dropped was open in the new, foreground window. This behavior can be changed in the settings: "open_files_in_new_window": false

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer, but this doesn’t solve my problem. If you set “open_files_in_new_window” to true, you get the following behavior:

• You have already one window open.
  • You drag another folder onto the dock icon.
  • The second folder is opened within the first window, too. This is not what I want.

For many years the default behavior has been:

• Sublime Text is completely closed.
  • You drag a folder onto the dock icon.
  • Only one window (containing the dragged folder) is opened.
  • You drag another folder onto the dock icon.
  • A second window (containing the second folder) is opened.

This is exactly what I want. But right now, the following happens:

• Sublime Text is completely closed.
  • I drag a folder onto the dock icon.
  • Two windows are opened: One window with the folder and one window with a new, empty file. I’m pretty sure that this is a bug.
0 Likes

This probably could be some kind of regression.

1. Try reversing Sublime Text to a clean state: https://www.sublimetext.com/docs/3/revert.html because maybe some package/plugin is causing it.
  2. If even on a clean state, this still happening, open issue on the issue tracker: https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues because it is easier to organize things then this forum.
  3. While you wait for a fix, revert your Sublime Text installation to the latest version it was working correctly for you. For example, build 3144
0 Likes

Regression is a possibility, but knowing now that it was when ST was closed when you dragged & dropped I wonder if you have "hot_exit": true set and the session with a single empty tab is restoring upon start up causing multiple windows. Maybe "hot_exit": false is what you want? Just keep in mind that this will disable the session restoration feature.

0 Likes

Thank you, guys.

• I reverted ST to a clean state. Same problem.
  • I always have “hot_exit” set to false.

I’m going to write a bug report on GitHub …

0 Likes

2 Likes