Sublime Forum

Log file handling

Hi

I am a long time emacs user recently switched to, and very happy with ST3 (Windows 7).

However log file handling is a awful. By log file I mean a file, that is continuously updated externally to the editor. The issue has been discussed long time ago, but for me the problem is very big, so I will try to get some attention to it again:

I often analyse log files while are still being written. For me analyzing log files means writing some comments into them (in the editor, not intended to be saved). However when I do that, ST3 will start to prompt me whether I want to reload the file. When I choose cancel it will within a second popup the question again and again and… I.e. it is not possible to make changes a file in ST3, if that file is also updated elsewhere.

Another variant of the problem, is if you have such a log file open (not necessarily visible) and the log file is very big (e.g. a few 100 MB). Then the file will auto-reload every second or so, but that reload takes so much processing power (not sure for what, maybe some kind of syntax analysis), the ST3 becomes unusable.

Suggested (emacs-like) solution:
Possible to configure ST3 to:
For unmodified files: Query reload if changed when editing the file (and not before)
For modified files: Never query reload
Maybe it could also query when changing into the buffer with the file.

Thanks.

0 Likes