Sublime Forum

Linux - Keyboard Shortcut for Replace All

Hello

What’s the keyboard shortcut on Linux for invoking the “Replace All” in the Replace Dialog? According to http://docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/search_and_replace/search_and_replace.html it should be Ctrl+Alt+Enter and when I hover the mouse over the “Replace All” button, it also shows Ctrl+Alt+Enter.

But when I press Ctrl+Alt+Enter, nothing happens.

I’m on Ubuntu 16.04 with Gnome and Sublime 3 Build 3126.

Thanks,
Alexander

0 Likes

It works for me, maybe the key binding has been overridden by something else or ST doesn’t detect it for some reason?

If you open the ST console (View menu -> Show Console) and type sublime.log_input(True) Enter and press Ctrl+Alt+Enter, does it correctly show in the console?

>>> sublime.log_input(True)
key evt: control+alt+enter

If it does, then try https://packagecontrol.io/packages/FindKeyConflicts to find what is causing the problem

0 Likes

@kingkeith, thanks, I tried that, and when I then press Ctrl+Alt+Enter, while I’m still in the Sublime window, nothing is shown.

I then pressed Ctrl+H to get the Replace dialog shown and in the console, it shows: key evt: control+h.

0 Likes

hmm, it seems ST isn’t receiving the key press events for that key combination - maybe something else is handling them before ST can

these Q/A pairs may help you find out what:

0 Likes

Will have a look there, thanks.

TBH, I don’t quite like the default shortcuts of ST3. Sure, you can change everything, but that’s annoying. For example, show console: Ctrl+`.
That’s impossible to type, as ` is a “dead key” (at least on my Swiss German keyboard layout).

Or toggle comment: Ctrl+/
Nothing happens, when I press Ctrl+Shift+7 (as Shift+7 returns /) or Ctrl+Numpad /

Oh, well…

I’ve now read https://askubuntu.com/questions/575631/how-do-i-find-all-key-bindings-in-ubuntu-14-04 and it doesn’t show anything:

$ gsettings list-recursively  org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings | sort | grep -i alt | grep -i control                
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings cycle-panels-backward ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Escape']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings cycle-panels ['<Control><Alt>Escape']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings minimize ['<Control><Alt>KP_0']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings move-to-workspace-down ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Down']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings move-to-workspace-left ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Left']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings move-to-workspace-right ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Right']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings move-to-workspace-up ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Up']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-panels-backward ['<Shift><Control><Alt>Tab']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-panels ['<Control><Alt>Tab']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-down ['<Control><Alt>Down']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-left ['<Control><Alt>Left']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-right ['<Control><Alt>Right']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings switch-to-workspace-up ['<Control><Alt>Up']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings toggle-maximized ['<Control><Alt>KP_5']
org.gnome.desktop.wm.keybindings toggle-shaded ['<Control><Alt>s']
0 Likes

it could be related to the fact that ST doesn’t handle keyboards with dead keys very well

1 Like

Might be, but / isn’t a dead key and neither is enter :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh I should have mentioned that ST doesn’t handle various keyboard layouts brilliantly either :wink:

0 Likes

When using sublime.log_input(True) it did not return Ctrl+Alt+Enter, but it did return Ctrl+AltGr+Enter (the right alt).
After a little googling I found this SO entry, one the answers say, it might be a GNOME issue, Ctrl+Alt being picked up as input language change.

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks can help in disabling this.

After intsalling go into Keyboard & Mouse > Additional Layout Options > Switching To Another layout, and disable Ctrl+Alt

0 Likes