Sublime Forum

Learning Sublime Text: underscore or not?

Hi everyone! I started to learn to use Sublime text and am in the process of configuring everything, installing packages, and so on.

When I googled about a way to specify some language-specific settings (Python), I found various sites that pointed me out in the right direction, but I found one inconsistency.

Somewhere I found:

"translate_tabs_to_spaces": true,
"use_tab_stops": true,
"tab_size": 4

But somewhere else I found:

"TranslateTabsToSpaces": true,
"UseTabStops": true,
"TabSize": 4

You see the difference. Which is the default, official, right syntax to specify settings in Sublime text?

Thanks in advance,
AlphaUMi.

0 Likes

I don’t think camelcase would be working. Didn’t try though.

1 Like

Indeed, CamelCase settings don’t work now (if they ever did in the past); you need to use the snake_case style of setting. Out of curiosity, where did you see the latter? I assume it’s something quite old like ST1 perhaps?

When you use Preferences > Settings you should get a window with the default preferences on the left and your customized preferences on the right. What you see in the left hand pane of the window is the settings you should be using.

In cases of packages that existed prior to settings opening in their own window, you often see Settings - Default and Settings - User set of associated menu items; in that case you need to pick the Default entry to see the defaults.

2 Likes

Thank you both for clarifying!

0 Likes