Sublime Forum

Just writting to say goodbye

After using sublime text as my code editor for most of the last decade. I was very sad to have ST4 forced on me yesterday as part of a routine package update on my dev box. Due to poor communication from the ST team (invalidating my license without warning or choice), bad planning for compatibility on settings management (https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/4218) and a product that was not ready for use ( cursor no longer blinks, the cursor does not moved to where I click in the file, and right clicking does not clear text selections, among many other issue making st4 an non functional anoyance rather then a productivity tool). I will be moving off Sublime text as never to return. I will not continue to pay for a tool where the developers feel they can ship a broken product and expect me to pay for it again.

Farewell and best of luck to those of you sticking it out on the ST4.

Cian.

5 Likes

I was very sad to have ST4 forced on me yesterday as part of a routine package update on my dev box. Due to poor communication from the ST team (invalidating my license without warning or choice)

The update is not forced on anyone. Users are prompted, but not forced to install an update. You can roll back to a previous version if unhappy with the current.

All new builds, if released more than 3 years after when you purchased your license, will let you know that your license is too old. But all previous builds are still usable. This check is based on when the build was released. So any build that was released in the 3 year range in which you purchased your license will continue to work.

bad planning for compatibility on settings management (https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/4218 ) and a product that was not ready for use ( cursor no longer blinks, the cursor does not moved to where I click in the file, and right clicking does not clear text selections, among many other issue making st4 an non functional anoyance rather then a productivity tool).

These things are subjective. If you do not like that ST4 uses your old config, just create a Sublime Text folder side by side with the old Sublime Text 3 folder and ST4 will no longer use your old config.

No software is ever bug free, and many people have been testing ST4 before release, but when opening to a wider audience, new issues are bound to be found.

Farewell and best of luck to those of you sticking it out on the ST4.

With all of that said, everyone is free to make their own choices, and if you feel ST4 no longer suits you, that is a personal choice and completely understandable. Maybe some of the above points are helpful, but if not, that is fine.

Whether with Sublime Text or some other editor, hopefully, you’ll find something that works well for you. If this is truly goodbye, then good luck with whatever direction you’ve chosen!

8 Likes

So to be clear you pushed ST4 in to your apt repo as a patch to sublime text. It came on to my system in a weekly batch of security updates

Start-Date: 2021-05-23 15:57:09
Commandline: aptdaemon role=‘role-commit-packages’ sender=’:1.430’
Upgrade: python3-software-properties:amd64 (0.98.9.4, 0.98.9.5), software-properties-gtk:amd64 (0.98.9.4, 0.98.9.5), initramfs-tools-bin:amd64 (0.136ubuntu6.4, 0.136ubuntu6.5), sublime-text:amd64 (3211, 4107), initramfs-tools-core:amd64 (0.136ubuntu6.4, 0.136ubuntu6.5), initramfs-tools:amd64 (0.136ubuntu6.4, 0.136ubuntu6.5), software-properties-common:amd64 (0.98.9.4, 0.98.9.5)
End-Date: 2021-05-23 15:57:42

Looking at you your apt repo you you only provide the sublime-text package. Their are no versioned packages. I would have expected for a major upgrade that had implications on, compatibility and licensing would require me to manually choose to install it. ie apt install sublime-text-4.

As it stands, To avoid having ST4 installed on my system. I would have had to know it was coming and manually removed it from the update list every week.

So I very much do not understand you position that you did not force ST4 on me. It was installed thru your choices of how to manage your apt repo and to mingle the version 3 and version 4 as the same package. When they clearly are not.

I forgot to link the relevant discussions from github: https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/4177
and I did see that the same forced upgrade is happening to mac users aswell :slight_smile:
https://github.com/sublimehq/sublime_text/issues/4246

You are pushing an updated on users that forces an license upgrade instead of letting them continue to use the version they licensed and choose weather or not to upgrade.

3 Likes

I am not affiliated with Sublime. Just a member of the community providing hopefully helpful info.

You can install via tarballs if the repo isn’t working out as you expect. There may be things they can do to better facilitate updates via repos in the future, but since licenses are based on 3 years from purchase dates now, it would be difficult to manage a Linux repo in such a way to prevent upgrading a license holder’s version which has expired.

0 Likes

You have mastered the tone of the sublime employees.

The fact remains it was a major version updated that was incompatible with the current version that was pushed as a security patch. Which corrupted my configuration and voided my license.

2 Likes

you should write that to a sublime employee
I don’t think anyone from sublime will ever read this

1 Like

Looking at you your apt repo you you only provide the sublime-text package. Their are no versioned packages. I would have expected for a major upgrade that had implications on, compatibility and licensing would require me to manually choose to install it. ie apt install sublime-text-4 .

You can downgrade to Sublime Text 3 using apt install sublime-text=3211.

3 Likes

End of story. :grin:

0 Likes