Sublime Forum

Just a quick question about packages/licence from a potential new user/customer

Hi all,

I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere, so I hope someone can help.
Do packages only work when a licence is bought?

I use Webstorm from IntelliJ/JetBrains, but because of bugs I can not work around since the last update I decided to take a look at Sublime.
The app is great and very nice it has a “Trial” version, but lacks some features I’m used to.
Now there is a possibility to install packages as you all know, but they do not work.

I’m on OSX (High Sierra) and have not been able to use/install any plugin at all.

Do the packages only work when a licence is bought?
Because if that is not the issue I have to trouble shoot before I buy.

0 Likes

The only difference between the trial version of Sublime and a licensed copy is:

• The trial version reminds you occasionally that you should purchase for continued use
  • The trial version doesn’t let you turn off the check for new versions that’s done at startup, so if you’re using an older version you will get prompted to update on every restart of Sublime.

If you’re having problems installing packages, that’s a separate issue, and if you can provide more details about what’s not working we can assist in resolving them.

The bottom line is that you for sure should be able to fully integrate Sublime into your workflow before purchasing it so that you’re making an informed decision.

0 Likes

Thanks so much for the quick reply.
In that case my issue is actually an issue.
I can install packages through Package Control.
For example: “View in browser” is one I have tried.

But I run into a similar error every time.
Even without packages installed I run into this error when I use the native “Open in browser” function:

“UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\u0308’ in position 76: ordinal not in range(128)”

Other plugins I have tried like a “color highlighter” don’t seem to function as well (so when there is no need to open another app).
The menu items for the plugins appear after install but that’s about it.

If you need more information, please ask, I’ll provide whatever I can.

0 Likes

Something is definitely wrong if standard out of the box functionality doesn’t work as you might expect it to. In particular the default Open in browser functionality doesn’t do anything that looks like it would cause that kind of error.

When you see this error, where are you seeing it displayed? Can you verify what build of Sublime Text you’re using on your machine?

0 Likes

Thanks again for the reply.

I see the error in the console after right clicking my HTML file and selecting “Open in browser”

The complete Error looks like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/sublime_plugin.py”, line 818, in run_
return self.run(edit)
File “open_in_browser in /Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/Packages/Default.sublime-package”, line 9, in run
File “./python3.3/webbrowser.py”, line 70, in open_new_tab
File “./python3.3/webbrowser.py”, line 62, in open
File “./python3.3/webbrowser.py”, line 635, in open
UnicodeEncodeError: ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character ‘\u0308’ in position 76: ordinal not in range(128)

My version of ST3: Version 3.0 Build 3143
My OS: Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

0 Likes