Sublime Forum

Is there a built-in command To show a pop-up to the user?(command not an API function To be used from inside a plug-in)

As this is my first post on this forum, I would like to start by thanking the sublime team for all the work they have put behind making sublime such a powerful and hackable editor as well as all the folks who have contributed to create and maintain such a wonderful ecosystem around it!

Now regarding my question,I was wondering whether there is a dedicated sublime command that can display content inside a pop-up to the user. I tried taking the look at here but I could not find anything related. I am aware that such functionality is exposed to plug-ins via the sublime API, but for my use case I am looking for a standalone built-in command that you can invoke directly just like you can for instance with open_file,open_url, show_paneland so on. Would anyone happen to know whether such a command exists or if there is a way to find out?

(Sublime Text 3)

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes

There’s nothing built in that does that, no; so you’d need a plugin. Something like that would be pretty easy to write though (depending on what you want to do with it).

There may be a package available in PackageControl that provides that sort of functionality already however.

0 Likes

I am aware that such functionality is exposed to plug-ins via the sublime API, but for my use case I am looking for a standalone built-in command that you can invoke directly just like you can for instance with open_file , open_url , show_panel and so on.

I don’t think there is a built-in one but you can write your own plugin to create such a command (but why? since you are already writing a plugin.). Feel like a XY problem. What’s your purpose to do so?

0 Likes

Thank you for your quick reply!

I also just found your reply on [stackoverflow] (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48656430/how-to-list-all-commands-in-sublime-text-3/48657046) and gave it a try, and it seems you’re right there appears to be nothing related! I’ll find another way to go around this!

0 Likes

thank you as well for your reply!
I wanted an external application to invoke the command from the command line interface and felt that it might be better if no extra plugging was needed. Now that I am thinking about it again, you 're probably right about the XY problem, I have wasted quite a bit of time trying to get this done, I should just find another more proper solution. My sincere apologies if I also wasted yours!

0 Likes