Sublime Forum

Is Sublime Text dead?

It’s been over a year snice sublime text was updated. When is Sublime Text 4 coming?

0 Likes

A release date hasn’t been officially announced, but development builds of ST4 have been available in the Discord for a little over a year now. As development builds they’re currently only accessible to licensed users.

The 4 is because the next release is doing away with version numbers, so we generally refer to it as “Sublime Text 4” as a disambiguation, but that’s not really what it is. There are some license changes as well.

That’s outlined in the Discord by the developers; I also summarized it here as well (link takes you directly to the relevant part of the video):

3 Likes

I wish Sublime Text was open source, don’t know why they don’t have it open source

0 Likes

You want the new stuff, but you don’t want to pay for it. Dream on!

3 Likes

Why is Sublime not free and opensource compared to Atom and VSCode? Couldn’t SublimeHQ use a thing where you pay for IT Support and a Sublime Text “PRO” Version

0 Likes

This has been discussed many times. Atom was bankrolled by github and is now pretty much dead, VSCode is bankrolled by Microsoft - neither of these have a business model so they’re not really comparable. A support business model works when you have a product that requires support and updates, which mostly applies to server software not general development tools. A pro version requires locking features behind a paywall which is worse than the current situation. There are already parts of Sublime Text that are open source, like the syntax definitions.

4 Likes

Sublime Text 4 is the “PRO” version.

0 Likes

No it is not when you leave a editor and stop updateing stuff then thats not good

0 Likes

Wondering what I’m missing about Atom - I see lots of releases over the past year or so, it doesn’t seem dead? Has development been stopped or something?

0 Likes

Looking at the insights on GitHub paints a pretty clear picture: https://github.com/atom/atom/graphs/contributors. All of the big contributors that were working for GitHub have moved on and thus contributions have dramatically dropped off. Any remaining development is likely being done by volunteers. Whereas Microsoft/GitHub’s replacement clearly has a dedicated full time team working on it: https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/graphs/contributors

0 Likes

hmm interesting… ugh guess I should think about vs code then, in terms of an editor that has strong support. Where’s the puke emoji… lol

0 Likes