Sublime Forum

Is it possible to sync settings / preferences?

I spent about 10-20 minutes customizing my settings exactly how I want, but I work on multiple computers. Is it possible to sync changes to preferences across machines seeing as licences are on a per user basis? I guess if not, I have to keep copy/pasting the preferences file…

Regards,
Stuart P

0 Likes

Sublime Text in different computers

On Windows I use Sky Drive to Sync to the following Directory: C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 2\Packages\Default
It doesn’t matter if the PATH is different for the 2 Directories. e.g. If you have a different UserName.

This keeps the directory in sync across my 2 PC’s and it keeps a copy on the Cloud too as a backup…

I don’t have a Mac computer ( Just iPhone and iPad ) but maybe iCloud will do something similar.

0 Likes

If you want to sync settings across machines, the best way to do so is to just sync the Packages\User\ folder. This contains all customized settings, and if you are using Package Control, it includes a list of all installed packages. If Package Control sees that an installed package is not present on the machine, it will automatically install it the next time Sublime Text starts.

0 Likes

[quote=“stu2000”]I spent about 10-20 minutes customizing my settings exactly how I want, but I work on multiple computers. Is it possible to sync changes to preferences across machines seeing as licences are on a per user basis? I guess if not, I have to keep copy/pasting the preferences file…

Regards,
Stuart P[/quote]

Another free option would be dropbox. Dropbox will let you select what folders to sync and keep those User settings in sync across different devices.

0 Likes

andrew.hedges.name/blog/2012/01/ … of-dropbox

misfoc.us/post/18018400006/synci … ia-dropbox

0 Likes

@wbond I would like to thank you for your work on community, you do amazing job! I have one question about Package Control and sync settings. I use Dropbox only to Sync ST, its overkill. I prefer to use git to do it. I dont want to go crazy and sync everything. I would like to know what should I sync. Inside my User directory I see these files:

• Package Control (Paweł Grzybek’s conflicted copy 2016-01-04).last-run
  • /Package Control.cache
  • Package Control.last-run
  • Package Control.merged-ca-bundle
  • Package Control
  • Package Control.system-ca-bundle
  • Package Control.user-ca-bundle
  • and few more not related with Package Controll

Im pretty sure that its not needed to sync all of them. Can you tell me which of these files is safety to add to .gitignore ? Thanks a ton!

0 Likes

Technically you should only really need the Package Control.sublime-settings and Package Control.user-ca-bundle. The rest of the files are various cached data. At some point I need to see if the cache directory would work for storage of those other files.

0 Likes

Thank you so much! That will make my life easier and keep things tidy!

0 Likes

I’ve used the sync-settings package which seems to work well (syncs to a secret gist on your GitHub account). It’s here: https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Sync%20Settings

4 Likes

This is great, I’ve been using a Github project to store my settings, this looks much nicer!

0 Likes

Has anyone tried https://packagecontrol.io/packages/Sync%20Settings with ST4?

If it does seem to work, any quirks I should be aware of?

This will more than likely be to sync between Linux(Ubuntu) and Win10

0 Likes