Sublime Forum

Is it possible to have even a vague roadmap?

(This was asked several years ago, but hoping for a different answer in the ST4 era now that Sublime has several employees. Official Roadmap?)

As a paying sublime text and sublime merge user, I would really appreciate having at least a quarterly newsletter or blog post giving some idea of what to expect in upcoming sublime text/merge releases. I know I can look at individual github issues for their resolution. However, the team must have some vision for each release - like focusing on a particular feature/UX, or it being a bug fix and polish release.

I understand shipping software is hard, so I am not expecting concrete release dates or exact feature commitments. Just something like “we are working on X/Y/Z and hoping to have a new general release in Q3 of 2024”.

Separately, I wouldn’t mind something like https://usesthis.com/ specifically for sublime text/merge. It would interview either employees or other sublime power users (even every quarter is fine) to give some insights into how people use all the awesome features of the 2 products.

(Mini rant: If this stuff is somehow available/discussed on Discord, sorry, I don’t consider Discord a useful platform for customers to need to sign up and catch up on. Search sucks, there is no public indexing for search engines.)

5 Likes

Sublime Merge has a roadmap here: https://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/sublime-merge-roadmap

As for Sublime Text bug fixing/polish is always a priority. As for major features I don’t think it makes sense to announce something we aren’t sure is going to ship. “I vaguely want to make settings better at some point” is also not something I’d consider worth announcing. Releases don’t have a vision - we don’t sit down after a release and set a goal for the next one. Features & bug fixes get worked on and released when they’re ready.

In terms of the next stable release that was planned to happen a month ago, but some bureaucracy has gotten in the way unfortunately. In general the release cadence I’d like to have is ~4 stable releases a year.

If this stuff is somehow available/discussed on Discord, sorry, I don’t consider Discord a useful platform for customers to need to sign up and catch up on. Search sucks, there is no public indexing for search engines.

I don’t think we’ve announced anything only on Discord in a long time - we occasionally do/did teasers for big features that were already complete. Its main purpose is for support and a place for the community to chat.

1 Like

Thanks for responding!

The Merge roadmap is a little old :wink:

Thanks for at least clarifying the development approach. Would be good to have 4 stable releases a year. :+1:

1 Like