Sublime Forum

Installing License for Educational Lab Model

We purchased enough licensing for our compsci labs as per the instructions at https://www.sublimetext.com/sales_faq under Educational Institutions. How can we apply the licensing on Redhat/Fedora Linux across users? I am imagining that we might be told to deposit the license file into every user’s $HOME/.config/sublime-text-2/Settings/ folder and then chown the files to the user, but I am hoping that is not the case since new student accounts are created almost daily.

0 Likes

Based on the discussion I linked to below, I think the only way to go about this would be to do as you’re suggesting and have the license file put into everyone’s home directory in the appropriate location. Note that per that thread if the user’s home directories are on an NFS mount and not on the individual machine you go about this differently (use the plaintext license instead of the file that you get if you enter it from sublime).

What you can do to simplify the task a little is make a slight modification to how you create the student accounts, though. When you use the useradd command to create a new user, it can create the user’s home directory layout based on a skeleton that you provide. Normally that would be a system default but you can create a separate skeleton just for students, create the layout in it that you need, and then do something like:

useradd --create-home --skel /etc/student_skel newusername

That will create the user, create their home directory from the skeleton provided, and then do the chown for you all in one shot.

The default skeleton directory is probably something like /etc/skel (check the man page to be sure, I’m not sure if your distro perhaps uses a more custom location for it) so you could just duplicate that one to get you started.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, we use an nfs mount so I’ll make the additions to current users’ accounts and set that up in /etc/skel on the various machines.

0 Likes