Sublime Forum

Installation trouble - old version remains

Sublime 2 (I think? build #3126) kept bugging me about an update so I downloaded the newest version (to Desktop), untarred (?) it, and it works. A few issues though:

1. The changelog appears every time I open Sublime, is there a way to change that?

2. I don’t really want Sublime to be in ~/Desktop/sublime_text_3/ but rather… well, wherever programs usually end up when you use apt-get install (which I try to use as much as possible, just not this time). There is a sublime-text.desktop in /usr/share/applications/, maybe that’s where I should put the new version?

3. The version available both in my “start menu” and via CL (subl) is still the old version. How do I change all this? (including removing the old version, its installer and so forth)

Stupid questions I know, but if you would help this linux noob that’d be very appreciated, thank you.

0 Likes

You’ll have to look at the shortcut that is opening ST2 and see where it is installed to remove it. You’ll probably also need to look in ~/.local/share/applications/ for the .desktop file.

If you like things to “just work”, I highly recommend installing from the new linux repositories. That will install into /opt/sublime_text/ and store config in ~/.config/sublime-text-3/.

1 Like

Thank you! I tried using the method you linked when the update message first started appearing, I have no idea why it didn’t work that time (that’s why I tried with the tarball) but everything went fine this time, all the stuff I asked about has been resolved, so thank you very much!

I guess I can just remove the stuff I downloaded and untarred to the desktop, then?

0 Likes

Yes, that should be fine.

1 Like