Sublime Forum

Indexing: crawldb not available, indexing abandoned

Hi,

I just made a new clean install of Sublime Text 3 (Windows 10, Build 3142), and it fails to index files:
error: unable to open crawldb (C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Sublime Text 3\Index), indexing is unavailable
indexing: crawldb not available, indexing abandoned

I don’t know how to solve this. Any idea?

0 Likes

I’d suspect you don’t have write permissions for that folder for some reason.

0 Likes

You may be right, appdata is readonly but I can’t change this (tried without success). If that’s the cause, all other windows users should have experienced the same issue.

0 Likes

If you are logged in as “me”, you should have read/write access to that folder.
To test it, open the explorer, enter %localappdata% in the location bar, press enter.
You should see c:\users\me\appdata\local.

If not - wrong user? How have you installed ST? I for example have used / ever use the portable package, extract it to a folder of my like - no issues.

0 Likes

I can explore c:\users\me\appdata\local, and have only one main windows account, no other users. But folders are marked as readonly, I can change it, but when I right-click again they’re still readonly.

I don’t use the portable version; if I reinstall elsewhere, let’s say in c:, data will still be in appdata folder, no?

0 Likes

Sorry, wasn’t specific enough. The folders in %localappdata% are under ‘System Protection’, like for example %programfiles% or %systemroot%. But - when it comes down to the files, you should be able to read AND write them.

If you use the portable installation, the whole ST stuff is kept in one folder - that’s what makes the installation portable. So you could for example install (better to say extract) ST onto an USB drive or a network share - and whenever you open ST from that location you have “your” ST.

0 Likes

Thanks again for your answer. It seems the issue comes from windows 10 and many users lost their time with this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/document-folders-marked-read-only-after-upgrade-to/4f00d3fe-82b0-4e6d-a92a-f81751aa6f51?auth=1

I think the solution is to install to an other authorized folder, or as you say use portable version, … or continue with no index.

I’ll not spend hours to explain to windows what hit should do.

0 Likes

I just had this problem.
After some googlin around, I tried a few things and what worked for me was renaming the index folder so that SublimeText would rebuild it from scratch.

And it did.

To be specific, I renamed my “programs/SublimeText/Data/Index” folder to “Index.000”, then restarted SublimeText. Tadaaam! There it is. Now it works perfectly.

Hope this saves a few more lost souls out there!

0 Likes

Just necroing this thread to say that deleting the Index folder also fixed my issue which was that the Goto Definition feature stopped working after an update. In my case I’m on a Mac, and the Index folder can be found at ~/Application Support/Sublime Text 3/Index

1 Like

Thanks @dkellner!
Deleting %LOCALAPPDATA%\Sublime Text 3\Index fixed the issue.

0 Likes