Sublime Forum

Indexing after project switch suuuper slow

Indexing the ‘new’ (switched to) project is suuuper slow after switching after opening ST. Wasn’t slow at all in the previous version, before 3200. It seems like it’s still indexing the previous project, where I switched out of. Folders are coming in super slowly, then files, then the token index. The first opened/default project when opening ST isn’t slow, so it seems switching makes ST slow. Or switching when it’s still indexing.

0 Likes

Have you let the indexing finish? It is to be expected that each project you open will reindex now that 3.2 is installed. Once the reindexing finishes, next time you open the project reindexing should not be required. If you switch away from a project while indexing, the indexing will continue the next time you open it.

It is sort of unclear from your description what is slow, as I am not sure what “folders are coming in” means. Are you referring to folders expanding in the side bar?

0 Likes

Yes, every project has been opened and indexed. Maybe indexing isn’t the right word. ST finds folders and files (for the sidebar) live every time. Even that is suuuper slow for the switched-to project.

Prev version wasn’t this slow. It used to immediately start folding out the sidebar with folders and files, super fast, no matter the project switching. It looks like the new version wants to finish reading/indexing the previous (now closed) project before doing the new/open one.

Any clearer? Sorry, I don’t know the lingo. I used to LOVE ST’s speed.

It’s very easy to reproduce. You need 2 decent size projects (100s of folders and files):

• open ST in any project (so after closing it with a project open, as I always do)
  • let it read/index all folders/files/tokens, take your time, let it finish
  • quick switch to another project - folder/file reading starts immediately, and it’s fast
  • quick switch back to the first project immediately - folder/file reading doesn’t start, or is suuper slow
0 Likes

I’ve installed 3176 (the latest stable 3.1), and everything is super fast again. What’s wrong with 3200?

0 Likes

Oh, no, that is not called indexing. Indexing is reading the contents of every file in your project looking for symbols.

It sounds like building the “catalog” is happening slowly on your machine.

Could you try build 3202? There was a performance issue identified with 3200 and git repository operations that could cause hangs related to the sidebar that was fixed in 3202.

0 Likes