Sublime Forum

Incompatible package: PackageDev

Some time ago, Sublime Text (3) advised me to install updates, and updated up to Sublime Text 4 automatically. I decided to stay on the third version until I needed new features, though, and downgraded it back, also adding "update_check": false to my configuration.

Then I used it for a week or so without any issues. However, today the PackageDev package stopped working with the following start-up message:

The following incompatible package was found installed:

PackageDev

This is usually due to syncing packages across different machines in a way that does not check package metadata for compatibility.

Please visit https://packagecontrol.io/docs/syncing for information about how to properly sync configuration and packages across machines.

To restore package functionality, please remove each listed package and reinstall it.

I suspect the PackageDev package updated automatically up to the version that requires Sublime Text 4.
As all package-related actions disappeared from Cmd+Shift+P, I’m unsure how to “remove each listed package and reinstall it”.

How can I get package functionality back?

0 Likes

The error message is misleading. You only need to restart ST as Package Control will download the appropriate version of PackageDev.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the error keeps showing, no matter how many times I restart Sublime Text.

0 Likes